SIM chips

I recently switched phone providers, replacing the SIM chip. Which got me wondering an old wonderment: what's inside?

It's remarkable that the industry has standardized on a single form factor and pin out. But I'm curious, what is the separation of functions, between the chip and the surrounding device? How to characterize it as a black box, what exactly are the signals which flow across the pins? Do any of those pins carry analog waveforms?

I figure this is a reasonable place to ask such a question -

Reply to
RichD

torsdag den 14. september 2023 kl. 19.58.07 UTC+2 skrev RichD:

I wonder if maybe, just maybe, google will have an idea, ..

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

You can buy a USB adapter, that comes with software to read the content.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Modern mobile phones also offer eSIMs with no physical card at all.

Reply to
Martin Brown

A SIM chip can be replaced by software? I thought they had rf detectors inside, TDM, FDM, CDM...

Reply to
RichD

no, it is only a bit of data to identify you on the network

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I know Qualcomm is a big player. I thought their CDM devices are inside the SIM chips.

What exactly are they selling then?

Reply to
RichD

no,

The main chips that makes up the functionality of a cellphone the SIM card is only a bit of encrypted data to identify you on the network

the phone doesn't need a SIM card to make calls, you can call 911/112 without a SIM card

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen