Short pulser.

hat

ly

d on.

ically

ime

=BD between photons?

.)

No ones every given me a good image of a photon. I can imagine and make (with some $) photons that go on 'forever' (ms, us..), when they hit my pmt and interact with electrons, they seem to occur as impulses, 'very small billiard balls', the size changes with frequency.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

e.)

.

on.

ally

" even when it's provable that it goes through only one slit or the other."

When you try and measure which slit it goes through, you find, (though I've never done this) that you can detect it, but the interference pattern goes away.... when you force it to go through one hole or the other, it does.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

e pattern,

ro size object.

nt of the buckyballs

tic nonsense,

es, and it will have to

buckyball as the ship.

Yes, Everything has a wavelength, the less mass something has the better. Electron interference is fairly easy, (or was when there were more CRT's being made.)

Buckey balls sounds hard.... did they have a long path length? George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Thu, 9 Dec 2010 19:20:02 -0800 (PST)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

Some info on that here:

You could get the original paper, I think I have it but if so where?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 09 Dec 2010 16:26:59 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

If you adhere to the idea of a wave pattern underlying the experiment, of course that would require Einsteins dogma of 'nothing faster than c' to be dropped, it becomes like ripples in a pond. Not a big mystery.

Doing away with Ein's dogma is almost guaranteed to mark you a crackpot, status quo much rather likes to keep parroting. In my view physics is largely brain dead since WW2 and the H bombs. I do not want to insult Jeroen, he did a nice capacitance measurement in CERN, but the whole quack science in CERN, in looking for gravity waves in LIGO, the tokamak disaster never break even project marked ITER, all tell the story of a failed and gone astray science due to worship of Einstein.

Add to that the fact that NASA has been driving around the block for 30 years now, if you look a bit at history, you see the Greeks and science, and how that packed out... On top of that the human masses, they .. OK. There was a very interesting statement in a discussion in sci.crypt recently by professor Craver and the replies to his posting, about the value of the things we use, or in other terms how much we trust those. Maybe it is me who only sees the connection to this subject. For me it is like if CERN & co do NOT come up with something useful, and with that I mean something else than tissue paper PhD publications of wild theories that only lead to requests for even bigger machines to test even wilder theories, then people lose trust in science. We trust cellphones because they WORK. We do not trust wormhole - and black hole technology, neither string theory based gadgets (except those old food cans with a string between those), because you cannot buy those, cannot travel in those, they simply only exists in the imagination of a very small group of self-adoring theoreticians who's theories have accomplished nothing for humanity in the last 30 years, A brain dead generation.

So if Jeroen says: Interesting times', he was probably talking about looking for the Higgs, For me the interesting times will start when they disassemble that crap in CERN. Sure, the electronics and equipment there is nice, just that it is used by fools who do not even understand it. Whatever the outcome of the next 'experiment' there, Higgs or no Higgs, the request will be for yet an other, even bigger accelerator. In fact that request already exists, for a linear one this time again. No doubt to be followed by an even bigger, possible round one, later on again. Does not anyone see the fools errand? And what will they find? Nothing of value.

OK, I had my rant. CERN is only good as bomb shelters.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

dropped,

tokamak disaster

Do you think that the speed of gravity is infinite? If not, there must be gravity waves. Close binary orbits seem to decay an amount consistant with gravity wave loss.

I wonder why gravity waves can't be produced and measured experimentally. I'd have to play with the numbers, I guess.

John

Sneaky little devils.

John

On a sunny day (Fri, 10 Dec 2010 10:12:09 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Personally I do not believe in 'infinities' in nature. The late Tom van Flandern

was somebody who made a case for a faster then light gravity propagation. IF gravity is caused by a Le Sage like particle, as I like to think, then yes those must move FTL.
's_theory_of_gravitation Feynman had a go at that math and came up empty... But that is not the last word. This is going way of topic, but I had a theory that those particles could originate in stars, later modified it for these to originate in the centre of galaxies, where current 'science' assumes the back hole. Of course there cannot be an infinity (infinitely small compressed object) in the case of Le Sage, as then all gravity would be shielded, an other argument for it. So in the latest observation that galaxies spit out stars in the spiral arms, the spiral arms are not stars falling into a 'black hole' sort of centre Milky Way stars move in mysterious ways:
Another prediction of mine come true :-)

The whole 21 first century pseudo science is under stress. Just now I downloaded a paper by Gurzadian and Penrose that claims that small temperature variations, say noise variations, in the cosmic microwave background prove there were many 'big bangs' in the past, and ours is just one of the many, and 'inflation' never happened. Concentric circles in WMAP data may provide evidence of violent pre big bang activity:

I love it, as it makes sense, why should we, and our environment be unique?? that is just very limited ego-cantered thinking.

Also consistent with the presence of a medium that slows those stars down.

LIGO, the 'gravity wave detector', basically a big interferometer, sees nothing, has been upgraded for higher sensitivity several times, still nothing. That proves the mathematical model they used to design it was not based on reality. That points a big threatening finger at Albert The Onestone, who BTW also admitted he completely failed to unite gravity with the rest of nature's force, so I am not at all surprised. I do not expect to see any answers to all these questions in my lifetime, and I am actually sure there will be none as long as humanity exists, as there is no 'bottom' in how deep you can dig. We are, like the ant that MAY find the sidewalk, and MAY dream about a creator, but would it realise who and what made the sidewalk and who or what will step on it? It all leads back to the realization of how small and insignificant we are, and how little time we have, and that we better use it right by being happy NOW. Solving some puzzles is fun, curiosity is our nature, but our happiness should not depend on the outcome, on holding on to -possibly false- beliefs, but science has always been a game of egos and mutual recognition often going before any truth. It will move very very slowly. Fine with me, as long as I do not have to sing along, my time is precious, I will call them idiots if I see the signs on the wall. The beauty of newsgroups is that you can discus these things without the 'peer review' club trying to shoot you.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

dropped,

Absolutely. And anyone who refuses to accept Einstein's relativity should be deprived of their GPS Satnav since its correct operation and synchronisation relies on both special and general relativistic corrections.

the tokamak disaster

And obligingly we have a few double pulsars and they provide a combination of the ultimate precision mechanical clock in very tightly bound orbits where the GR corrections are distinctly non-trivial.

Big G the coupling constant for gravity is awfully small.

You need to throw compact stellar mass objects around rather quickly in a tight orbit to generate decent sized excursions. This is somewhat beyond out available engineering techniques. Waiting for a pair of stars or better neutron stars to spiral into one another is our best chance of seeing them. LIGO and similar are looking for coherent changes that are very much smaller than the vibration of atoms due to thermal noise. I don't hold out much hope of detecting gravity waves with any terrestrial experiment for a while yet. Non detection of gravitational waves from gamma ray bursts believed to be in M32 have been reported. CalTech claims this is a significant result.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

be dropped,

CERN,

the tokamak disaster

G can be measured in a lab, with modest masses. To detect waves, you'd have to rotate an asymmetric mass very fast, and detect for a long time, to tease out a signal. I suppose it would have been done by now if it were possible.

I know some of the LIGO people. It must be a frustrating experience, years of no signals.

John

A photon isn't a thing. We talked about this awhile back on sci.optics:

0c7881e15c82b with a followup at
e63881c063b4536a

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Although they didn't get them right for a few years afterwards! And there's some doubt about this apparently--

I suspect that the second-order Doppler (special relativity) corrections are more important, since the radial velocity of the satellites isn't zero and changes with time--unlike their gravitational potential.

And anyone who doesn't think we should be allowed to eat animals should be put lower on the food chain themselves. (Preferably much lower.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (Fri, 10 Dec 2010 19:36:41 +0000) it happened Martin Brown wrote in :

Oh what a fool you are. The operation of the GPS sat is set by the DIGITAL DIVIDER in it for the atomic clocks, NOT by a THEORY. There can be many theories that explain the faster moving clock up there relative to a slower moving one on earth. For example in a Le Sage theory it could go like this: The higher you get up, the more intense the particle flux, the more atoms and their sub-particles are compressed, the shorter the pendulums, the faster they move. And close to earth a lot of Le Sage particles are intercepted (shadowed), and the pendulums get larger. Now I just explained it in the form of a mechanism, and PREDICT an asymmetry in the motion. So atoms close to earth moving horizontally should move different from those oriented vertically. Now lets see how long before this is confirmed, could show up as a change in spectral width from an atomic clock.

Panteltje Atomics Weapons of math destruction

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Have you ever told a vegetarian yogurt-eater that the bacteria that comprise yogurt are one-celled animals? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No, because they aren't.

Bacteria are prokaryotes - single-celled organisms which have no nucleus.

Animals (and plants and fungi) are eukaryotes - single- or multicellular organisms with nuclei (and numerous other organelles which bacteria don't have).

Humans are more closely related to mushrooms and soybeans, than we are to bacteria.

Dave Platt

kin

gh

th

,

c' to be dropped,

ot,

ons.

in CERN,

LIGO, the tokamak disaster

I think they are still excited.. last time I talked to one ~1 year ago. LIGO can only detect a really big, (rare) gravity wave event.

In 2005(?) I was walking around Caltech with a fellow PhD/tech. He was lamenting that LIGO couldn't detect 'common' gravity wave generators. LIGO II will be better. (Jan's all for that....grin) But seriously Astronomy is .... well worth my money.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

There has been recent observation that the speed of gravity is close to C.

John

clocks,

relative

the pendulums get larger.

the motion.

oriented vertically.

spectral width from an atomic clock.

You can carry a good atomic clock to the top of a building and measure the frequency change. Dead on Einstein's numbers.

You can buy an extra seat on an airliner and fly an atomic clock around the world. The time change is dead on theory. HP actually did it ca 1970.

John

atomic clocks,

relative

the pendulums get larger.

in the motion.

oriented vertically.

spectral width from an atomic clock.

However, it seems there is some missing parts of the theory regarding spacecraft flybys. Theory practice, by a quite measurable margin.

Reply to
krw

Yeah, but go yogurt-eating vegetarians know that? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise