Shannon and the brain..

John Larkin:

As with the one we have in our head.

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

That test of sentience is easy to pass; a battery, a button, and a buzzer. Come to think of it, that would describe DimBulb.

Reply to
krw

So, how does a soup of proteins form a living, presumably intelligent, organism?

Sure. We are maybe 2% of the way to understanding how a cell works. Certainly not enough to simulate the human brain "at the molecular level."

Starting.

Somebody else has to know it, so I can use their parts. Nobody knows how the brain stores memories.

John

No grumpy growling ;)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Why would you say that? The Standard Model correctly predicts all sorts of quantitative facts about the universe. It works.

John

Just trying to do my part!

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax:

So what? The final output will always trascend those useless details.

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

John Larkin:

Yes theyn do. No, they cannot forecast its behavioiur. That's not ignorance, since there's nothing to be known.

Thaìt contraption. Other ones are certainly able to do it right now.

Yes, I did.

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

Bill Sloman:

AKA known as "commonsensical".

You get yours from communist eco-terrorists, evidently.

This is really an idiotic phrase.

Sometimes say they can predict weather in 10 years from now. But they can't do it for a week from now.

Think with your own head.

No, maybe better not.

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

John Larkin:

Because you can't.

Should I recall you that "God does not play dice"?

But that quarrel is moot. Quanta work at their level, supoerchords at another, gravity at yet another.

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

Bill Sloman:

And then?

What about the sequencing the expression of proteins? If you produce the same amount of proteins at the same time, you get a pile of scum, not a working cell.

We are at the very beginning of understanding, and this, probably, is another instance of a phenomenon that is the simplest model of itself.

I really can't stand you bigots. Of both sides.

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

Perhaps because of age related damage? Most of the neural tissue of the brain is redundant, as much as 90% judging from some cases of (IIRC) normal functioning hydocephalics

That's because they were discussing resolution and used newsprint as an example.

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

2%? Interesting figure Where do you get it from?
--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

The case of this thread, dipshit. The reference was to ALL pigs, so it refers to ALL cases.

Catch a clue yet?

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

You missed the point. The Larking dumbfuck is forever pissing and moaning about me, making claims that I cannot perform math.

No shit. I don't need a primer.

No bits at all. It is an entirely different pair of dimes.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Wrong. He was re-energized. So, those were NOT his last words.

HAL's last words were during the ignition of Jupiter by monoliths as a newborn star in the sequel "2010: The Year We Make Contact"

His last words were whatever part of the transmission he was suppose to deliver until he could no longer do so. Whatever point at which THAT transmission ceased.

Nice try though.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

You are as stupid as dimmie. Thanks for the proof. You better see a doctor about those infected blisters on your palms before you lose both hands, and have to learn to type with your nose.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No need for the battery. His filament is open.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I don't know about that. It does make noise when you push it's button.

Reply to
krw

You're just shaking the broken ends till they arc. Little, tiny arcs. Hench the name DIM bulb. :)

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell