Sensor cable design

You won't get good EMI rejection on twisted pair unless both the driver and the receiver are balanced.

If you drive one and ground the other, the fields in the neighbourhood of the cable are approximately half differential and half common mode. That's because

V_CM = (V+ + V-)/2 and V_DIFF = (V+ - V-)/2.

If you drive V+ and ground V-,

V_CM = V_DIFF = V+ /2.

In other words, you've put half your signal swing in the differential (transmission line) mode, and half in the common (i.e. antenna) mode.

Antennas work both ways, so if you set it up to radiate like that, you're also setting it up to receive whatever's around.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

cable. If I bring back the signal and ground wires in the same twisted pa ir, would that be considered symmetrical? More current would be flowing ou t to the sensor over the Vcc wire than would be returning through either th e signal or the ground wires.

les for cheap, in addition to maximal EMI performance both from external so urces and between pairs, and reduction of radiation from the cable signals. This one is $6.99 from Amazon, already connectorized:

5e-sftp

ence may not be.

Thanks for the refresher, but I already know quite a bit about driving and receiving controlled impedance transmission lines, and differential and com mon mode impedance. The OP needs to tell us the precision of the his A/D an d his ENOB spec at 5MHz so we can suggest drvr/rcvr pairs of adequate preci sion.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Not quite true: it just means that the 'transmission-line effects' are nearly indistinguishable from stray capacitance (if Z is high) or stray inductance (if Z is low).

So, the wiring can be an excess load, and cause frequency-dependent distortions. I had an audio cable that snaked through two or three rooms, and it performed very poorly at conducting line-level signals until I lowered the source impedance (to about 100 ohms); matching impedance gets rid of capacitive rolloff.

Reply to
whit3rd

Sure, there's "expensive coax" ­ teflon-insulated silver-plated fancy stuff; There's also a good deal of cheap coax in the world ­ RG-59, for instance. Due to its use in cable TV, if you can't find a chunk for free, it's all of 6.75 cents/foot in bulk (without even shopping hard ­

7.4 cents for dual-shield) If you want shielded twisted pair, Cat 6 is over double the price (though it has more pairs than you need, so possibly you can find some STP that's actually cheaper than RG-59 - then again, there's at least a bulk market for Cat6, so perhaps not, too.)

You can even get RG-59 bonded with a pair of 18Ga power wires for 16.9 cents a foot (still not shopping all that hard, so you might be able to do better.)

RG-6 is also a comparatively inexpensive coax.

Ecnerwal

That's what I just said, if you restore the part that you snipped.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

"whit3rd"

** Correct - the cable is an electrically short transmission line, which if not terminated becomes be a pure C load.
** Simply reducing source Z to 100 ohms did the trick for your case - but it did not eliminate cable C.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Oops; omitted the other part of the solution. I also put a 100 ohm load on the distal end of the cable, thus applying the full transmission-line treatment. That was the easiest way to deal with cable C_stray (driving and driven ends both terminated into the characteristic impedance).

Reply to
whit3rd

From memory, the characteristic impedance goes through some wild transitions determined by frequency. Something like 90 up to 120, or 120 down to 90, can't remember which.

Transferring energy either is no biggie, but transferring V(t) signal can become important

Reply to
RobertMacy

--
Generally, as long as the OD of the center conductor, the ID of the
shield, the concentricity between the center conductor and the shield

I was referring to the twisted pair's characteristic impedance. However, since you described a coax, your comment that the characteristic impedance is constant is not true, unless you apply 'engineering' tolerances to it...The characteristic impedance of a coax changes with frequency.

For a 'word argument': Characteristic impedance is approximately the square root of the ratio of inductance per length over capacitance per length. At low frequencies, the whole center conductor's cross section is involved in carrying current and has a value of inductance per length. At high frequencies, skin effect rears its ugly head and you see the increased loss that you mentioned, but also the carriers are traveling along the outside of the center conductor, which changes the center conductor's inductance per length, thus the characteristic impedance of the coax changes with frequency.

Reply to
RobertMacy

At audio frequencies, the coaxial impedance can be several hundred ohms. At LF to UHF it is quite constant close to nominal impedance.

At extremely high frequencies the cable no longer act as a coaxial cable, but rather like a waveguide with different propagation modes depending on frequency.

Reply to
upsidedown

At 10kHz, an RG-58 cable is what?

At 10kHz, an RG-59 cable is what?

Reply to
RobertMacy

In order to measure the impedance at 10 KHz, you need a chunk roughly

30 kilometers long. And that will have a center-conductor resistance of kilohms. So the characteristic impedance, including the resistive term, is huge. It's like twisted pairs, considered to be around 100 ohms for Ethernet but 600 ohms for telephone use.

It all falls out of the telegrapher's equation. As frequency tends towards zero, Z heads for root(R/G), which will generally be huge.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Huh? I guess you'd better define "coaxial impedance".

Reply to
krw

application, and I was wondering if anyone could check my design approach. Basically, my control circuit powers a wired sensor located about 2 meters away. The sensor circuit uses a single-ended op-amp to amplify a 5 MHz transducer signal, and then sends it back to the control circuit where it is digitized. So, I need 3 wires between the control circuit and the sensor: Vcc, ground, and signal.

other, I thought I should use twisted-triad wire to reduce cross-talk. External EMI shouldn't be a problem, so I don't think shielded cables are necessary. However, I haven't been able to find twisted-triad wire without a jacket or shield. What kind of wire should I use for this? If I used two twisted-pair wires for each sensor, what would I connect the extra wire to?

frequency content will be between signal and ground. Since I'm bringing back the signal and ground wires together, would this be considered a balanced circuit?

Cannonically, the two twisted pairs would be one pair for sensor power and one pair for sensor output. Bond return/ground wires of the pairs at the receiving point, and only maybe at the sensor.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Was waiting for someone to bring that up about the GND bonding location...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

No you don't.

Open- and short-circuit impedance measurements on an electrically short sample are all you need.

I've done it using my HP4274A, on samples a couple of feet long.

In earlier life, I used to use a Marconi TF1275 Q-meter.

Zo = sqrt(R+jX/G-jB) = sqrt(R+jwL/G+jwC) = sqrt(Zsc/Yoc) = sqrt(Zsc.Zoc)

G is so small, you usually can't measure it, unless you have the most evil dielectric imaginable. It can be neglected.

--
"Design is the reverse of analysis"
                   (R.D. Middlebrook)

72.78 -j52.89, calculated from Belden 8262 published L, C and R figures.
79.05 -j25.29 (Belden 8263)

Any transmission line that has resistive loss must have a complex characteristic impedance, which is frequency dependent.

--
"Design is the reverse of analysis"
                   (R.D. Middlebrook)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Only true in the case of lossless lines. Resistive losses mean a complex, frequency-dependent, characteristic impedance.

--
"Design is the reverse of analysis"
                   (R.D. Middlebrook)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Well, you measured the L, R, and C, in separate open/short measurements, and calculated the impedance. My point was that impedance is a function of frequency, and it's not meaningful, as a transmission line impedance, if the line is a tiny fraction of a wavelength. There's no reason the OP should worry about line impedance or termination. Capacitive loading of the opamp could matter.

If I put a 10 foot coax into one black box, and the equivalent R, L, and C into another black box, as lumped elements, you couldn't tell the difference at 10 KHZ.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links