Help finding a serial cable (RS232)

Anyone know where I can find a supplier for pre-made RS232 serial cables with a DB-9 Male on one end, and a 3.5mm plug on the other?

Or...? Doesn't have to be 3.5mm, that's just the first thing that comes to mind.

I'm on a new project that will need a serial port and want to shave cost of the DB9 on the product end. (Also, tooling would be a slight hassle as the PacTec enclosure I'm going to use would have to hacked up a bit, whereas panel mounting a 3.5mm jack is no big deal.)

Ideally, a 3-foot to maybe 5-foot pre-assembled RS-232 to 3.5mm (mini- phono) type plug would fit the bill. I only need TXD, RXD and ground (common). How it pins out on the plug is not critical as it will likely be panel mount anyway - although I suspect there's a "standard" here.

Even RS232 DB9 Male to bare wire would be considered and I'll make the plugs myself. Not my first choice, however. But acceptable in early production.

Thanks!!

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

You would be better off getting a roll of wire and connectors..

Pricing for molded serial cables are all over the place.

check there. They seem to have some good prices on cheap molded serial cables.

--
"I\'d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

hat

light

round

ll

n.

al cables.

I've seen (3) products - at least!! that use the type of cable I'm looking for: An old Philips "Pronto" universal remote control, my dad's brand new Bayer Ascenture blood glucose meter, and a Boxcar (sp?) data acquisition gizmo that looked like a pager.

I have a contact who does the China import thing and I'm sure he'll have it... I'm just not ready to buy a few thousand of 'em yet. Which is where that usually leads... I tried the Google route but after sifiting though a dozen or so sites I gave up. I think this is the kind of thing you either know where to get it, or you're stuck. So far, I'm stuck.

But thanks for the lead. If push comes to shove, I guess I can hack off one end and wire it to a plug. At least half the work would be done for me.....

Reply to
mpm

We buy our cables from PCH Cables in Oregon.

They show a 6 ft double ended DB9 male for $1.95 each, Qty 1. As someone's post suggested, they could be cut in half and the 3.5 mm plug put on.

We have used this company for a couple years and have been very happy with their price and fast delivery.

bill

Bill Brown

place.http://www.connectworld.net/iss//molded-rs232-cables.html

lobotomy"

Consider a male-male D lead, and hack it in half to apply the 3.5mm stereo plugs. At least that reduces the waste (cost).

Reply to
budgie

-
"

Which

he

So

ack

be

-

Now, there's some thinking! Thanks! Still, I'd rather find the cable already made - and obviously they are.

Reply to
mpm