Semi-OT: PC won't start with USB-LPT plugged in

Thanks, but not really because this relates to cases where the PC at least started the fans and some blinken-lights. Mine doesn't unless I unplug the LPT adapter.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Quote:

Sigh, I haven't shopped on amazon in a few weeks, so didn't know they had done this. When I find a cheap item that I want but don't need immediately I just leave it in the cart until I accumulate enough to get the free shipping. Now it will take me even longer to accumulate enough cheap items to hit the threshold.

On topic content: Surely you have a bootable DVD or flash drive, maybe a recovery disc or portable linux, that you could boot from to test the usb behavior? That way no win7 in the picture, without having to go through all the effort to install xp.

End quote

Same here with Amazon. They'll lose sales on many things where I can't wait. Where I can wait they will see delayed sales. I think they are subsidizing their Prime club. It's a mistake because now there isn't all that much of an advantage versus Walmart Online. At $35 Amazon still had an edge because Walmart ship to store can be very inefficient, lines too long because they made me wait in the return line. Won't do that again.

I don't have any bootable DVD or flash other than recovery disks and complete license disks that require a full machine install.

Carl, please respond above sig lines because otherwise newsreaders mess up during responses.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On Thu, 03 Mar 2016 08:49:10 -0800, Joerg Gave us:

I told you if a driver "fails to install", you RESTART the PC and bring up the utility menu and select "allow unsigned driver installation".

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Carl, please respond above sig lines because otherwise newsreaders mess up during responses. =========================================================

I'm not a linux person but I found

a few years ago when I wanted to use my only laptop on the internet, and I had to keep it w98se to run legacy hardware. You can get the small version and burn it on a cd or the full version and burn it on a dvd, and it will boot on most pc's without accessing the hard drive or needing any writeable storage. It can work with the hd if you want to, so it's also a handy disc if you have hd problems and it won't boot off the hd, and it knows the windows file systems. Anyway, you're probably much more of a linux expert than I am, which just goes to show how easy and foolproof the knoppix package is since all I had to do was download the image, burn it to disc, boot it up, and click on the browser. Might be a handy thing for you to download and burn, just in case you ever need it.

I didn't realize that the sig lines other than mine, which was the last one, disturbed anything. I'll try to remember to cut them out from now on. I really wish windows live mail inserted "> " quote characters in replies and didn't insist on formatting with the reply at the top instead of the bottom, sigh. Yes there are other programs, I just don't want to go there.

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

Reply to
Carl Ijames

I would dare say that Win7 is rather hardware sensitive..you cannot even install Win7 unless the hardware is "perfect" in unpublished ways. You were just lucky enough to find on of its numerous hidden glitches.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Seems you don't understand this thread. The OP has stated quite clearly the PC will NOT even start its boot process.Unless your statement refers to a BIOS option. statement

TTman

Just go buy a cheapo from Ebay :)

TTman

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 13:49:02 +0000, TTman Gave us:

Seems that you cannot even read a few lines up.

His reference here is NOT about the unit which will not post, idiot.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I suppose so :-(

Plus numerous other external HW that Win 7 dislikes. Cameras, LAN printer interface, microscopes, lab gear, et cetera. IMHO Windows 7 and following is quite botched.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On the risk of looking like a troglodyte, I do not have an EBay account. Maybe I should get one, especially after Amazon goofed the min qty for free ship. Also to sell some hobby stuff before I croak some day and it all ends in a dumpster.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

If a driver fails to install and then upon receiving the _same_ model USB device as a warranty replacement and it installs I consider that weird. Under XP both of them installed and then worked correctly.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, but not with the LPT adapter in there because the PC won't turn on.

But the 5V PSU for the on/off function is a totally separate power supply from anything else...

TTman

Could be related to the fact that you wear a helmet.

Does it not boot or not power up?

Sometimes if you have the boot sequence set so it first looks for a USB device, and if the USB device is not being enumerated properly, it would try to boot from the USB device even though it's not a memory stick or USB storage device.

If it doesn't power up at all then it's likely the USB hub chip on the motherboard that's flaky.

Reply to
sms

I wonder if there is an over-current event when you power up with the device installed and that the system won't turn on in that case.

Did you try putting a powered hub between the USB on the PC and the USB to parallel adapter?

I used old parallel port printers for years but I used a D-Link wireless print server . The issue I had with the parallel printers is that the communications to it was so slow. Not a problem with just text, but if you printed out any graphics it took a long time.

Reply to
sms

There is a USB suspend state where the USB device must reduce it's current draw to 2.5mA.

It's possible that the BIOS has set the programmable USB over-current limit in the hub to something very low at power-up time and then won't power up if it sees that anything is over that limit, and that the USB to parallel port adapter is not in the suspend state at power-up.

On older PC's they didn't use programmable current limits, they just used a device that set the over-current trip to about 1A which gave a lot of margin to the minimum requirement of 500mA for a high-power device.

Reply to
sms

Ah, now we are getting closer :-)

Does not power up. Or looks like it doesnt, no fans, no harddrive whine, nada.

Was the same on another Win 7 nmachine (not a Dell XPS).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I can't imagine many USB devices adhering to such a requirement. USB-charged phone backup batteries, USB coffee cup warmers, USB task lights, and so on. I even saw a USB facial fan with water-spritz feature.

Didn't see that in the BIOS but it is also unlikely. Because the PC will start fine with a partially charged Li-Ion from a bicycle light left plugged into the same USB port where the printer adapter is. That one draws almost 500mA right from the start when power comes on. I have also left all kinds of other more or less permanent loads plugged in and that never bothered this PC or any of the others.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

One would think so. The old Bondi blue iMacs, though, had a power button on their USB keyboard...so the USB power had to remain ON when the computer was powered down.

Reply to
whit3rd

Could be some sort of a ground issue. I wonder if the ground pins on the parallel port are connected directly to the USB ground, and the ground pins on the printer are connected to earth ground.

Try using one of those 3 pin grounding adapters to lift the earth ground from the printer, and maybe try the same thing on the computer (unless it's a laptop).

Reply to
sms

does the fan even twitch a little?

--