Semi-OT: How to throttle a AMD Turion?

Hello Folks,

Has anyone succeeded in reducing the power consumption of the "AMD Turion 64 Mobile" processor? I've got one in a laptop and it gets hot even when the computer does nothing. Not only does this consume battery juice but most annoying is that the rather loud fan comes on all the time. In meetings people turn around to see whether some microscopic Learjet has landed.

I was hoping that this "AMD PowerNow!" scheme would at least come close to what my old early 90's laptop had. That one offered three user selectable clock speeds. Full blast, half, and next to nothing. Not so here in the oh so modern world of 2007. Looked up and down the web and usenet. All one can get is a kind of meter applet from AMD that shows voltage and speed. But I'd like some handles and buttons here ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Wed, 02 May 2007 20:33:53 GMT) it happened Joerg wrote in :

?
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Thanks, Jan. Looks like a new CPU driver is needed. A scary thought but might have to be done. Slowly getting goose pimples here...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Crazy, innit? My wife's laptop now starts shutting itself off because of overheating while doing nothing (like waiting, in a CPU's timeframe, eons for keystrokes during word processing). Need to get that dust out of there, but all laptops are design nightmares in this regard. What became of micropower or at least power-aware design? These things are mobile, battery operated devices for christ's sake!

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Yes, fully agree. IMHO the design engineers on those teams are not .... no, no, I am not going to say it.

Anyhow, I do a lot of micropower designs and my clients would have me flogged if I delivered a "performance" like "modern" laptops. Heck, why can't they cajole some of the old Compaq engineers out of retirement? They know how to do it. I have an idea: Why don't we start an assisted living place for engineers? Nicely decked out with a CAD room, bingo games, a small lab, big screen TVs, Weller solder irons etc. When I see what comes out of universities these days I bet we'll need that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

It seems that people want AMD and iNTEL inside their laptops. VIA does some nice little GHz X86 processors that run with Vcore below 1V and only need a few watts, but I've never seen one in a laptop. Can't run the lastest Microsoft "productivity" suite with acceptable speed I guess...

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

I've got one VIA cpu here for assembler / win98 / dos tasks, its slow like hell, but quiet and does the trick for these simple tasts.... just barely.

SioL

Reply to
SioL