Slightly OT: How can one turn off mike AGC on Samsung Series 9 laptops?

Folks,

There are very frequent GotoMeeting sessions with one group. One of the participants has a Samsung Series 9 that runs Windows 7. The microphone performance on that is horrid. If he doesn't talk for a while sometimes the gain ratchets up to the hilt. You can hear his pencil strokes on a notepad loudly, and sometimes background noise gargles up to a level where it drowns out several seconds of any other participant. It's erratic, sometimes when he sits quietly, nothing happens. But when he grabs a pen and writes the laptop might decide to increase the gain. To me it sounds like a totally screwed up "intelligent AGC" or noise canceller implementation.

Well, Windows 7 seems dumbed down, all it offers for audio is:

Mute all other sounds Reduce volume of other by 80% Reduce..........................by 50% Do nothing

And none of those helps, as was expected. So, does anyone know how to kick all this automated audio stuff out of a Samsung Series 9 laptop?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

There's probably some other audio control panel, possibly sitting in the system tray by the clock.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Maybe AGC is part of gotomeeting. In properties you can block the app from changing the devices settings.

Martin Riddle

I don't think that Windoze has built in MIC AGC. It's usually the function of the application (i.e. GoToMeeting) or possibly some overly "enhanced" audio "effects" application supplied by Samsung.

There doesn't seem to be anything like that in GoToMeeting. I dug through this tree and didn't find anything resembling AGC.

My guess(tm) is the audio "effects" application. Hmmm.... "...but a number of other pieces sounded rather muddy and distorted. Samsung's using some audio enhancement software here, and it gets a bit overzealous with more complex tracks." That's for the speaker, but in my experience, when the vendor screws with the speaker, they can't resist the temptation to do the same to the microphone.

Have this person install some remote control software (i.e. Teamviewer) and take a look at what he has to play with. Probably easier than asking him to disarm the MIC AGC.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

That's why I was asking, we couldn't find one anywhere but it may be hidden.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It has "automatic volume and noise processing" but that doesn't make a difference. When I use the service with my older NC-10 netbook (also from Samsung) this effect never happens but, of course, I use XP. Something must be screwed up, either in the computer hardware, sound driver, or in Windows 7.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's the reason I ask, maybe the application (often provided by the maker of the sound chip in a computer) is messed up.

There is, in Settings -> Audio -> Automatic volume and noise processing. But doesn't affect it.

That link tries to load data from some obscure site that my firewall blocks.

Well, that would go a bit far. I thought there was some easy way to disable stuff. When companies get fancy with audio paths that almost never ends well because they often do not provide a "back to plain vanilla" option :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Well, if it doesn't work, there may be TWO automatic gain controls working on their computer. One in GoToMeeting, and one in the audio "enhancements" in the laptop. Perhaps that's why you don't seen an effect when it's disabled in GoToMeeting.

I do it all the time. However, I do sometimes get accused of breaking the computer by remote control, the general results are quite positive. Remote control programs are mostly good for simple fixes and quick diagnostics, not complex upgrades or major system troubleshooting.

I constantly mangle the audio path and change settings with far too many audio related programs, each of which has it's own perfered settings. I either save the registry section, which is usually something like:

or just use a program that does it for me. Note that this is for XP and probably doesn't work for later Windoze mutations.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Hello

Le Wed, 19 Jun 2013 18:54:13 +0200, Jeff Liebermann a= =

=E9crit:

ng.

I had a strange behavior with an audio program (SpectrumLab) : =

modification of input sensitivity when a system sound was played by =

another program ! I found a hint on Internet that worked for me : go into Microsoft Mediaplayer and disable there equalizer, silent mod= e =

and automatic level control (may be not the exact terms in the english =

version of Windows XP, I am in France ;-)

May be you can try it !

HTH

-- =

Peter Greuter mes vieilleries sur

Peter Greuter

In this case it's different. The user does not even touch the PC and there are no sounds coming from it. When he sits in his chair and doesn't move, just occasionally speaks like the rest of us does, it's all ok. But when he writes something down and the pen makes scratching noises or when he slightly moves and the chair squeaks, the PC seems to think that this is a sound it needed to amplify.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Wed, 19 Jun 2013 10:41:17 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Make a box with a beep just above audible frequency and give it to him. That will push the AGC down perhaps. Old Chinese solution;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Ah! A dog whistle. That'll do :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Well you can load the free from M$ VM and XP modules that are available and just run XP in the VM and use that with its very superior user audio controls.

Juat a thought.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Too much effort for most people. Plus video conferencing software needs a lot of horsepower, it may not run very well in a VM with all its overhead.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

the

microphone

sometimes

available

audio

overhead.

I have done video conferencing on an old machine with only a single core

1.4 GHz CPU. It isn't that CPU hungry, it is network speed hungry though. I have even seen some applications speed up in a VM, that was a real surprise.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

I see that all the time. The VMs can have idealized, simplified "hardware", no virus scanner, minimal registry, few installed programs, no OEM crapware or other cruft to slow them down.

--

John Devereux
Reply to