scientists as superstars

You've obviously never tried it. If you ever do, the issues will become clear very rapidly.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

No, I haven't, and probably never will.

But I do know people that have, and may have an idea or two. And will know if your use case truly cannot be served by the current standard, showing a gap in the standard.

And I know something about schedulers in operating systems (and in big radars for that matter), and observe that people do manage to do realtime and non-realtime in the same box, quite often actually.

One way is the have the GUI et al running non-realtime, and the time-critical software run under various realtime policies and priorities, with the time-critical stuff limited so it cannot completely squeeze the GUI et al out.

The full-strength version of that is to have the entire non-realtime world running in a virtual machine under the RT system.

So, I'm trying to figure out exactly what's going on in your application. But I'll stop if you wish.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn