simulating a differential pair

I have a fast differential 2.5 volt PECL signal pair driving about 6 inches of 100 ohm differential microstrip, on the bottom of a 10-layer board, end terminated with a couple of 50 ohm resistors to ground.

At five places along the way, I via up to the topside to line receivers. I am concerned about how the loading of the vias and receiver chips affects signal integrity along the way.

I'm thinking about simulating each segment as a short 100 ohm txline in LT Spice, and adding the lumped capacitances along the way. I can use Saturn to estimate via capacitance, and I guess measure the capacitance of the line receiver chips. We might add some cutouts to planes or something if that helps.

Maybe there is an IBIS model of these parts somewhere, that we could convert into a basic Spice model of the receivers. We could measure pad and via capacitances on a similar board as sanity checks.

This all seems primitive. What other tools do people use to evaluate signal integrity in situations like this?

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

At the risk of pointing out the obvious....a Vector Network Analyser?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I want to simulate the board before we fab one. And we work in time domain, so we want to look at pulse edges.

Are there differential VNAs?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Oh yes. Search for R&S ZNA, 4-port VNA. Never got my hands on one -- I don't run around with that high-class crowd. 16 Smith charts: makes my head hurt.

Reply to
Mark

Am 19.06.20 um 20:49 schrieb John Larkin:

Yes, it just halves the number of channels. But that is in no way different from my 54754A differential TDR. TDR in a VNA is just software, just a s-parameters from a TDR.

You could always use Keysight ADS before hardware production. 1/2 :-)

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Here's a Spice sim of a single-ended clock line on a pc board.

I did that purely to get an annoying customer engineer off my case. There was never any doubt that the board would work well enough.

But this sim is primitive.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

You can do some delay line simulations in Falstad.

You must use a single-ended format and ground on both ends.

You provide the impedance and time delays are computed in Saturn. The logical wires, ground symbols and active parts are ideal with limited variable options. (eg. You might add say 200 Ohms in series with an Op-Amp output inside the loop.) For a Cap, you might add ESR,ESL.

I disabled option/Current speed display, useful for novices.

Then apply your xx% tolerances add the stubs and use a sweep or pulse gen adding matched R impedances or mismatched.

Time sample duration is adjusted under Options/other options with < 2k dots resolution on the screen.

The right mouse and wheel also edit values. Allow some learning curve to become proficient.

I made a horrible mismatched example using both log sweep and pulse tests.

Anthony Stewart

here

- with stub removed

- power changed to voltage display only

Component directions may be swapped with right mouse or drag ends and drop.

for all his java/javascript simulations there are some interesting 2D EMI ones

Anthony Stewart

e.g. the charge pole or black hole

try the dipole

Reply to
Anthony Stewart

There you go then, John. Splash out; treat yourself. ;-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Mesmerizing!

Reply to
John S

The via is both C and L, especially going into a package (C, L, R). Would suggest using a 100 ohm resistor from via to package, smallest part here.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I'm thinking that would add line losses and trash the signal as it progresses down the chain of receivers.