tree as antenna

Since it has been remarked in another thread that wood is a conductor, and since trees are as big as radio wavelengths, I'm wondering if there is any convenient way to measure how much electromagnetic radiation a particular tree is picking up at a particular radio frequency.

What started me wondering about this is not the desire to use trees to pick up radio stations or to use forests for antenna arrays for radio astronomy (although the thought did cross my mind), but an article in a recent issue of Natural History about the visual systems of plants. The article maintains that plants have sophisticated systems that allow them to figure out how many other plants are around them, even if they are not shaded by them, and to figure out when to flower, among other things. The article is concerned with visible light and infrared and discusses mechanisms at the molecular level that respond to such light. I don't expect that plants have responses to radio waves at the molecular level, for reasons of resolution (not that I really know), but it did seem natural to wonder whether plants might have some kind of response to radio waves when the plants are large enough to serve as antennas at those frequencies.

--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

and

Boston.

Reply to
Art

In some farmed forrests trees are planted at regular intervals - might have more of an effect?

Reply to
CWatters

I haven't look to see who wrote this article (or the quality of the science behind the statements it contains) but you might find it interesting towards the middle/bottom of the page.

CWatters

I can't say that I've delved deeply into this site, but it gets pretty fishy around chapter 11

"The reader will now need to put the desire for proof on hold. Trust has to become a major element", etc.

However the referenced Wolfgang Volkrodt paper is available... have a look at the links at the bottom of the

page. The "Electromagnetic Pollution of the Environment" document seems to conclude that otherwise clean forests (in Germany, Canada...) are being adversly affected by military radar installations and radio links.

It's more a presentation for conference more than a scientific paper but may give you some more leads.

HTH.

Regards,

--
Pat Deegan,
http://www.psychogenic.com/

Thanks for the suggestions on how radio waves might affect trees, but that wasn't really the point of my posting, only my original motivation. The point was to find out how to measure how much electromagnetic radiation a particular tree is picking up at a particular radio frequency.

For example, do you drive a nail into the tree and connect the nail via a wire to your pocket radio? Or do you use a dish to first measure how much radiation of that frequency there is in some other direction with no obstacles in it, then see how much comes from the direction of the tree, compute how much of the latter is due to reflection off the tree and then subtract from the first measurement to estimate how much is being absorbed?

--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

I knew a man once who claimed to have had either a CB or Ham radio antenna as a part of a tree. He claimed it worked and others also backed him. I never witnessed it myself, so I can't say for sure. I'm trying to recall HOW he did it. It had something to do with spikes or nails and perhaps (not sure) use them as a beam array of sorts with a vertical radiation.. I say beam in that when you have a beam, you have a reflector, the driven element and then the directors. I do believe that was his set up in the tree.

L.

Reply to
L.

A professor of mine once told me of his friend in a ham radio club who used a tree as the antenna for a transciever during a field hunt. After searching for the target for hours he finally told the group that he worked on research during WWII using trees as antennas. Sounds like the military has been doing this for years.

Reply to
wwaaves

: > L. : : A professor of mine once told me of his friend in a ham radio club who : used a tree as the antenna for a transceiver during a field hunt. : After searching for the target for hours he finally told the group : that he worked on research during WWII using trees as antennas. Sounds : like the military has been doing this for years.

Well, mostly in WW2. It has been dome many times in field installations where hiding was necessary.

Reply to
Roger Gt

I say, whatever it takes... If it works, DO IT! ANYTHING is better than nothing when you're in a bind. Who knows, maybe someone will live in a place where no "antennas" are allowed, not to mention towers, mast, etc. IF there is a tree there, they could use it and no one be the wiser. Maybe it won't work as well as a commercial job, but if you want to be on the air, then the tree beats nothing (at least speaking outdoors). There are 2 meter antennas which have been on the market for a while to be "stealth" antennas for areas which don't like antennas. Ya got to do what ya got to do.

NS

Reply to
NO SPAM

: > : > L. : > : : > : A professor of mine once told me of his friend in a ham radio : > club who : > : used a tree as the antenna for a transceiver during a field : > hunt. : > : After searching for the target for hours he finally told the : > group : > : that he worked on research during WWII using trees as antennas. : > Sounds : > : like the military has been doing this for years. : >

: > Well, mostly in WW2. : > It has been dome many times in field installations where hiding : > was necessary. : >

: >

: : I say, whatever it takes... If it works, DO IT! ANYTHING is better than : nothing when you're in a bind. Who knows, maybe someone will live in a place : where no "antennas" are allowed, not to mention towers, mast, etc. IF there : is a tree there, they could use it and no one be the wiser. Maybe it won't : work as well as a commercial job, but if you want to be on the air, then the : tree beats nothing (at least speaking outdoors). There are 2 meter antennas : which have been on the market for a while to be "stealth" antennas for areas : which don't like antennas. Ya got to do what ya got to do. : : NS : Gutters work too! As will a wire run under the eves. I have even run a single strand of wire up a tree and used it as an antenna, the tree loads the wire so tuning was dicey. I have also used aluminum foil in the attic. Works fine too.

An antenna hidden inside a vent extension will sometimes go for years before someone notices. I have also see a mobile antenna on a the back of a trellis in the rear garden. Buried the feed line.

Reply to
Roger Gt