Galvanized steel as a conductor

Galvanized steel as a conductor.

I don't know the name of what I have. It's steel, galvanized I think, a half inch wide, 1/16 inch thick and was about 3 feet long when I bought it. Now I would like to cut 2 one-inch pieces, drill holes in each end, and use screws and nuts to attach my new motorcycle battery to one end and the battery "cables" to the other end of each piece.

Is there a problem because it is galvanized? Should I remove the coating with a wire wheel on a bench grinder, or with a grind stone, or is it ok?

I can't get an exact duplicate battery for my new 1969 Honda motorcylce and the old one had its battery posts about a half-inch outside the perimeter of the battery.

Remove NOPSAM to email me..

Reply to
mm

Nahh!! not good. It would corrode so easily and not be an effective conductor. Use some copper strip of the same dimensions or more better a decent heavy cable and a lug for the battery end going into a small terminal block. If you go for the copper strip paint the non connecting parts and grease the copper connecting parts.

Cheers ......... Rheilly P

Where theres a will, I want to be in it.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

steel is many times the R of copper, high current apps like this its quite unsuitable for. Get a copper slate tingle and use that.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Sounds like its made to use in the ends of 3' high chain link fencing. It goes though the raw end, and is held to the corner (or gate) post with two or three clamps.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You're right! Hadn't remembered that. Although this is smaller than what I usualliy see.

Thanks Rheilly, Meow, and Michael. I'll switch to comppoer or aluminum. (I'm having trouble finding my piece of copper, if I have one.)

Remove NOPSAM to email me..

Reply to
mm

lead is the most usual candidate. Dont think I;ve ever seen ali for such an app, and would not recomend it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Lead or copper definately. Aluminum will surely corrode like crazy on a battery terminal.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy