Rotten Chinese Cheapskates

ust

s'

rds

ngs, for negligible to none additional cost, to withstand an otherwise exce ssive current for the few minutes it takes for the AAA to discharge down to more reasonable internal resistance. Looks like brand new alkalines have a round 0.2 ohm IR, that would make 0.6R for the stack so that a 0.75V drop i s only 1.25A making 1.25/9=140mA /LED, which might be right for VF 3.75V, you do the iteration. See, there's nothing to get hysterical about here, L izzy-in-a-Tizzy.

What do we learn from this?

e, sometimes cheap means clever,

There's more to it than just the chip. And how long do you expect anything to last running off an AAA anyway?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Nonsense unit. you mean 100J?

They're fast enough, bright enough would be the problem.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

These are good, either genuine or well-made fakes.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

use rechargables, the voltage is low enough.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

I imagine you have 8 lands in the area between the concentric rings for the LEDs to meet the resistors.

"Aim" as in adjust the LED's mounting angle?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

You've said that it's perfectly OK to drive LEDs directly, no?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

hence people don't get what they want

hence people don't get what they want

Lots of good stuff. I've also had lots of unsatisfactory stuff, ie not got what I wanted.

It's a win for the US to trade with China. It's cheaper to pay Chinese prices & pay for it with exports like your equipment.

As a society gets wealthier, the less economically productive lose their jobs and must retrain or otherwise find new work. It's ever so.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It needs a 3.6V battery, so I'd guess no controller used here.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

st

'

ds

s, for negligible to none additional cost, to withstand an otherwise excess ive current for the few minutes it takes for the AAA to discharge down to m ore reasonable internal resistance. Looks like brand new alkalines have aro und 0.2 ohm IR, that would make 0.6R for the stack so that a 0.75V drop is only 1.25A making 1.25/9=140mA /LED, which might be right for VF 3.75V, y ou do the iteration. See, there's nothing to get hysterical about here, Liz zy-in-a-Tizzy. The Chinese have the labor to bin the LEDs to within 10% IV certainly. What do we learn from this? Cheap does not mean stupid, any damn ed fool can make something expensive, sometimes cheap means clever, then th e product is described as low cost and not cheap. ...

They don't use high current LEDs, LEDs are just good at handling short term overload.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not in MY microwave oven, they aren't! A good xenon strobe tube lasts lots longer.

Reply to
whit3rd

Yes, 100 joules. I had no idea any work was being done on LEDs for flash applications. I did a web search came across this:

gray_wolf

Well, start a company, make great stuff, and sell it for less than it costs.

But it is what they want. They vote at the checkout.

It's a win for well-paid Americans and Chinese fat cats. It's bad for the US working class and all those Chinese workers in dorms, in unsafe factories, breathing foul air, who can't afford the things that they make.

Retrain? To be coders? To make expresso drinks?

lunatic fringe electronics

LEDs are fairly ohmic in their normal operating range. I have a bunch of mostly-cheap LED flashlights and they all work. Whatever people are doing, it seems to work.

Amazon is great, because it has reviews and keeps a record of what I bought. I can get one and if I like it, I can buy more of the same thing. If I don't like it, I can send it back and they pay for the shipping. That's some serious closed-loop feedback on what they sell.

lunatic fringe electronics

I can't think why I would. It's a way to divert from the issue though :)

It's what they choose, very often in the belief that it's something other than what it is. Various whole categories of products are sold mostly on bs.

Well paid Americans benefit from cheaper goods. Chinese businessmen profit, and some of that trickles down in various ways. China has made huge strides in tackling poverty. The US working class has to find other employment, and of course not all do. But the only other option is for the US as a whole to remain poorer, to not economically advance. Chinese workers do the job they do because their other options are worse.

I'm pretty sure the US does more than that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I don't think so. Government punishes employers for creating jobs, so employers create fewer jobs one way or another. It doesn't have to be that way.

That's true, and the Chinese power structure makes it so.

It does borrow a lot of money.

lunatic fringe electronics

I've done this. I have a stereo scope with an extra port for a camera. You just unplug the camera port and peer down the tube with the camera. It isn't quite as good as a real microscope camera setup, but it does actually work, at least with some combinations of camears and microscopes.

You can also buy microscope digital cameras on eBay for relatively low cost, if you will be using this more than once. You plug the camera into the eyepiece tube.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

OH, the LEDs certainly are fast enough. Maybe white is a little slower due to the phosphor. You can't directly replace a flash tube with LEDs, of course, but many camera flashes today are LED.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

The rings are about 2-3 mm wide, each, so you don't need special lands, the entire ring is the land.

Yes, eaxctly. I put something small on the table, centered below the microscope and focus on it. Then, I bend the LEDs so they all point roughly straight at that object.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

"It worked *very* well! It's the worst product ever!"

Reply to
bitrex

I have one that does that! I should take a video. The flashlight blinks at about 3 Hz, you got it exactly. For a minute I was confused as to whether it had some kind of purpose built signal strobe mode or something. I should take a video...

The weird thing is it doesn't do it every time - you can turn it on and off a couple times and it operates "normally", and then the third time it will blink. Then it will work fine 4 more times, then blink on the 5th.

Reply to
bitrex