Tips Replacing Chinese Fan Motor Fuses?

Recently inherited 2 non working 16" Chinese Fans with blown motors. A while ago I was successful in repairing another blown Chinese fan motor.

Hope to simplify the repair so wonder if anyone has tips about replacing fan motor fuses with no or minimal disassembly of the motor?

Also can post photos of the 2 new fan motors if want.

Thanks

Ken

Reply to
KenO

when my last window box fan failed, I checked the motor and found the thermal fuse was blown and the bearings gummy.

I didn't bother to get the tiny fuses off ebay and just used the "standard" sized metal body fuse as seen in normal appliances instead.

the thing wasn't even glued in to the windings or hard to get at. These motors are so crappy now that they're actually easy to take apart. Properly varnisning the windings just costs too much or something.

It will last a few more years until the crappy steel bearings wear out completely.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Perhaps 20 and 30 years ago I witnessed 2 different window fans catching fire, in different places. Before the days of Chinese imports , I assume, and perhaps no fuses in them in those days. Unlike equipment fans a very high power density ,requiring the fan action to keep the motor cool and if mechanically stopped for some reason, soon heated up to combustion level. What temperature thermal fuses are used?

Reply to
N_Cook

I think I just grabbed a 128C thermal fuse, which was higher than the original by 5 or 10 degrees or something like that, but the closest match.

I do recall a window fan fire, but it was in a very old 1970s or 1980s made in USA model. The bearings must have seized up, there really isn't much else to go wrong with those things.

Windows fans seem to large to ever be impedance protected, plus doing that must cost more than a fuse sort of pushed into the gap between windings and the stator.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader