Duplication of all threads or A new process with only one thread

Will there be duplication of all threads OR a new process with only
one thread be created
for a fork call by a thread in a process ?

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru

Re: Duplication of all threads or A new process with only one thread
I got the below info from  http://tldp.org/FAQ/Threads-FAQ/Problems.html
" The POSIX 1c standard defines a thread calling fork() to duplicate
only the calling thread in the new process; and an execve() from a
thread would stop all threads of that process."

Thx,
Karthik Balaguru

Re: Duplication of all threads or A new process with only one thread

OOps ?!?!

Hence it would be impossible to spawn a new process from a multithreaded
process.

How would you do this ?

-Michael

Re: Duplication of all threads or A new process with only one thread

Usually, the new forked process (inheriting only one thread) is
calling execve() and not the multithreaded process that calls fork()
in one of its threads.

-- hns

Re: Duplication of all threads or A new process with only one thread

I see: the child created with fork is considered to be a new process and
not a thread of the parent process.

That brings up the question: how to create a new thread. But don't
bother, I'll be using the pthread library to do that for me :).

Thanks,

-Michael

Re: Duplication of all threads or A new process with only one thread

The usual way:

fork (creates a new process with only one thread running) ->
execve (replaces the process image).

Wolfgang Draxinger
--
E-Mail address works, Jabber: snipped-for-privacy@jabber.org, ICQ: 134682867

Re: Duplication of all threads or A new process with only one thread

Thanks. hat is how I had supposed it would be done. I was confused by
the cited text.

-Michael

Site Timeline