RoHS survival tips?

What tip do you have to manage this RoHS deal ..? As in what works, not what should been etc..

In particular what can be done now to minimize whiskers, cracks etc..

Reply to
pbdelete

Maybe go into another line of business. Pest control, beer brewing ...

Seriously, I think the best approach is to find a large assembly house that already has plenty of experience with lead-free production.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

First is to pick a products and company and stick with it. Don't try to use ten different brands even if seemingly the same formulation. You will get burned.

Record keeping, that is a rough one. Everyone is struggling with that.

Last, remember that you are dealing with Rohs even in non-Rohs assemblies. Since the parts themselves may be leadfree, they will no longer reflow correctly under old processes and profiles. Since you are using lead temperatures, leadfree leads my not wet properly and cause joint issues. I think this one here is the biggest short term problem for those still using lead based solders.

Reply to
Brian

Hello Brian,

With parts that can be an issue. However, we have always dealt with leadfree leads. Take wire, for example. That has no lead and solders just fine with leaded solder. Same for many board-inserted connectors, sockets, you name it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Its not so much an issue as it is an oversight to some. You here people saying parts fall off boards, etc., with leadfree parts. This can be why, the new reflow profile of new metal combinations. It is MUCH more an issue with SMT than thru hole, for obvious reasons. Adjustment to your profiles will correct it.

If only the other ROhs issues were as easy to fix :(

Reply to
Brian