RMS and Average Current

"John Larkin"

** Err - all "moving iron" ammeters do exactly that.

You see them on car battery chargers a lot - being used to wrongly indicate rate of charge.

** It is horses for courses, but where the power delivered by a DC supply is to be found or the rate of charge going into a battery - Iav is the one to know.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Don Lancaster"

** You are just plain WRONG - Lancaster.

Back to Basic Electricity 101 for you.

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** You are just plain WRONG - Lancaster.

Back to Basic Electricity 101 for you.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Don Lancaster"

** You are just plain WRONG - Lancaster.

Back to Basic Electricity 101 for you.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"The Phantom" "Phil Allison" :

** Of course - an rms responding meter reads wrongly (in excess) in these cases.

Now just convince that Lancaster cretin and Win and we will all be so much happier.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** Win - if you wish not to be considered a *duck*

- then do not walk like one and quack like one.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Forget the pills, drink the kool-aid.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

** Go to Google Groups .

Maybe you cannot see all my posts on your server.

** Not interested - ducky.

I am prepared to defend what I have posted.

That is all.

You are just trolling and bullshitting.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"The Phantom"

(snip piles of drivel)

** Why not suppose the earth is flat too ??

You seem like a likely inhabitant of such a place.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I thought your example of a "clean rectangular pulse" was a good example to bring out the info the OP wanted without involving a lot of side issues. I just happened to notice that there was another way to get power *in this particular case* only. I thought it was interesting.

The point Phil made, that if a time varying current is delivering power to a constant voltage drop, the simple average of the current is the number to use rather than the RMS, is quite correct. But now we're off onto practical issues and questions of personal experience, and I refuse to participate.

I also thought that Fred Blogg's post was the best "stick to the point" answer to the OP's question.

LOL! That's for sure!

Reply to
The Phantom

"The Phantom"

** You could easily get that diode " on "voltage accurate to 1 or 2%.

Just check the scope range with a good 1.25 volt reference.

** That is absolute crapology.

The diode *on* voltage is wanted - in isolation from any reverse voltage - something a DMM cannot do.

Ergo - a scope is the way to go.

DMMs with "true rms" capability vary ENORMOUSLY in their effective bandwidth - most are only accurate to a few kHz - making them useless for other than AC supply related waveforms.

OTOH - even garden variety scopes are accurate to tens of MHz !!

An *average responding* amp meter WILL give the correct result since response time becomes irrelevant.

You need to try a lot harder, Mr Phantom.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

In another thread you said "...why not use a single fast (successive approximation) ADC and then DSP the data? That way you could extract anything and feature-itus it to your heart's content. And get superb wideband AC accuracy."

I don't know if you saw my response where I said that I think that's what the current crop of DMMs are, in fact, doing.

Fluke has a lot of specialty meters for measuring power quality that measure and display everything you can think of. They display the harmonic magnitudes, power factor, distortion, peaks detected. I'm sure they have a DSP core they use in all these new instruments.

The Fluke 189, which is a few years old now, has a severe case of feature-itus. I has wide AC bandwidth, it does RMS DC+AC on both current and voltage, it measures capacitance, frequency, duty factor, peak voltage and current (with slow and fast peak capture), can log measurements, can infrared link to your PC, etc., plus all the usual stuff, and, it doesn't use a 9 volt battery (thank you, Fluke). I think this kind of capability will be the norm in all but the Radio Shack type meters.

Reply to
The Phantom

"Poopie Bear Faced LIAR "

** Another, malicious, trolling pommy pig.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Poopie Bear Faced LIAR " ...

aka Graham Stevenson :

Grandiose, bipolar ADHD stuffed brit & all round puke

** You did not post a point in context.

Just another brainless personal jibe from vile, criminal charlatan enraged by being continually publicly outed.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"The Phantom"

** That is an INSANE assumption to make.

Par for the course with ranting nut like you.

** Go read some specs on low cost DMMs - s*****ad.

Your lack of "experience " is your problem.

** Asinine.

** It was however Mr Larkin's words that I commented on.

YOU were NOT following the context.

** Yawn - what a desperate wanker.

** Blatant lie based on having second thoughts.
** Absolute bullshit.

The diode clamps its on voltage to a narrow band.

What a lying f****it.

** Blatant lie based on having second thoughts.

** What a f****it.

** The f****it is clutching at straws now.

** My suggested way WILL work with a basic scope and cheap DMM.

As found in any electronics workshop.

NOW : Piss off you PITA TROLL !!!!!

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"John Larkin"

Don Lancaster

** Hang on here a mo.

An "average responding, DC reading" amp or volt meter has no high frequency response issues.

A meter designed to respond to the average *RECTIFIED* value of an AC waveform has that problem - along with most true rms meters ( thermal ones can operate to GHz) and moving iron meters when measuring AC.

Reply to
Phil Allison

Hi,

What is the minimum current for a regulator from there onwards a heat sink should be used? I am using a 1Ampere LM7815 regulator with 45mAmps current consumption.

Thanks and Regards.

Reply to
Steven Swift