Rigol DSA 815

Does anyone have one? Is it a decent spectrum analyzer for sniffing around looking for EMI issues? Does anyone have anything super-good or super-bad to say about it?

My immediate need is for assessing some EMI problems, but I'd like to have something around that'd work well for verifying RF transmitter performance, in case I get interested in amateur radio again.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

On a sunny day (Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:30:06 -0600) it happened Tim Wescott wrote in :

For 25 4 or there about you have a DVB-T stick that will do to 2.2 GHz with 2 MHz bandwidth. Plus many free programs to use it as spectrum thing both for that MS crap amd Linux. And especially amateur radio. Googe rtl_sdr

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I just recommended it to a client and they are happy with it. From what I've seen the track gen is a bit ugly in amplitude variations versus frequency but that can be calibrated out.

Personally I prefer the Signalhound. Slower and can be iffy on pulsed signals but it beats just about anything else in portability. Once when I showed up at a client they were puzzled. "We thought you'd bring your analyzer" ... "It's in this pouch here" ... "WHAT?"

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

{snip}

There's a teardown video by EEVBlog available on the Rigol website:

?

?

or look for EEVblog #391 on youtube.com

Reply to
grodzicky_j

The DVBT dongle is quite deaf. I doubt it would be useful for such testing. And before you rant, I have half a dozen of them and have used them under MS crap and linux. They make a decent mode-s receiver, but suck otherwise compared to real radios.

The sticks are more like $12 in the US on ebay.

Reply to
miso

On a sunny day (Mon, 11 Nov 2013 16:37:22 -0800) it happened miso wrote in :

mm, but I write my own software and most certainly the sticks (I have both an Elonics ad RT tuner) are NOT 'quite deaf', on the contrary,

As posted here I even received GPS signal with it, and processed the results with mathlab. Yes, active antenna added, but do you know the signal levels for GPS?

Read this blog, scroll to bottom page for my contribution, however small it may be:

Active antenna:

Test results:

Phil is right, you are trolling :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Tim, If you buy one will you let us know what you think of it? I've been 'semi' lusting after a spectrum analyzer.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Pretty cool device for under $20. I have the NooElec version.

Just got it yesterday and trying to learn the HDSDR app. It was a bit of a hassle to get the device installed, but there are pretty good instructions detailing how to get around the known issues.

Reply to
sms