RGB to XYZ

A simplistic VGA to XYZ-scope converter like this:

just uses a passive resistor network to linearly scale the RGB components and sum them to monochrome.

However I don't think this really works for a "modern" SVGA output because the gamma will be wrong; you have to apply a nonlinear gamma-expanding transform prior to intensity-scaling a la:

Is there any off-the-shelf IC or circuit that does this or are you basically looking at using a DSP or FPGA to do it properly.

Reply to
bitrex

Why not change the source signal being generated? Or, are you "stuck" with someone else's signal?

Reply to
Don Y

Nah. Just thinking about how you would do it from the output of a video adapter on a relatively modern PC, so what do we have to work with. HDMI would that be easier? Maybe but I don't know enough to know.

Might be easier to work with composite and there are surely off-the-shelf solutions that do HDMI to composite, and then strip the syncs and luma from that.

XYZ to VGA boxes seem relatively available for e.g. radars but don't see much commercial for the other way, the demand would seem very little.

Reply to
bitrex