Resonant power converter

Hello all, long time no post from me. I'm still alive and I see a lot of f amiliar names are still here.

I'm working on a resonant power converter design for a consumer LED lightin g application. I used Bourns 33mH inductor part number RLB9012-323KL which is rated for a maximum DC current of 90mA. In my application it is carryi ng a sinusoidal AC current of 85mA peak at a frequency of 44 kHz. Although it was only running at ~ 20 degsC above ambient, after a few minutes, the inductor failed. It still measured as the correct DC resistance and induct ance using a bench multi-meter; but blew the switching transistors and the fuse if I tried to use it in circuit again. It was a hard problem to find because I changed every other component first, before suspecting the 33mH. Repeating with a fresh 33mH did the same thing after some minutes of seemi ngly working OK. I am wondering if I am permanently damaging the ferrite c ore somehow? But my peak current and therefore peak 0.5*LI^2 is not exceed ing the datasheet spec and my frequency is below the SRF. Am I being ignor ant here in trying to use this inductor in a totally inappropriate way? Pl ease advise.

TIA

Reply to
Andrew Holme

[...]

Weird, Does the bench meter give you the Q at various frequencies? Can you measure any change in the inductor? I had some weird effects of water (from pcb cleaning) getting in a spoling the Q

Reply to
George Herold

What's the peak voltage?

lunatic fringe electronics

[...]

About 800V.

It was in series with a 630V rated 270pF capacitor. The voltage across the cap was ~ 1kV peak! At first I thought the cap was breaking down. I repl aced the cap with a 3kV part and saw the same failure.

I'm trying a different LC network now with lower value inductors and lower voltages; however, the frequency is similar; and I'm worried that my peak A C currents are still close to the maximum DC ratings of the inductors.

I've been tabulating L*I^2 and even f*L*I^2 of different circuits to gauge the relative stress. Not sure if this is a valid thing to do.

Reply to
Andrew Holme

Peak current doesn't matter... RMS current does.

You are likely arcing the insulation of the wire inside the inductor. Little inductors like this are rarely voltage rated.

The ferrite core may be conductive, too. So you can get wire-wire breakdown and wire-core breakdown.

lunatic fringe electronics

That is most likely the problem. Dielectric failure sometimes takes time. It'll be hissing in there but you may not hear it.

API-Delevan states a dielectric rating of 2500V but you have to inquire about the working voltage across the coil. Dielectric withstand is destructive over time and the allowed working voltage (continued exposure) will be many times lower. Best to get that in writing.

It could mean a custom coil job. If so, talk to Xfmrs or Renco.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Thank you John and Joerg. You are right. I cut away the shrink jacket from two failed inductors and I can see the point where it was arcing through the enamel. It might be better if I used axial rather than radial inductors!

Reply to
Andrew Holme

Newava has been good to us lately. Todd.

Single layer solenoids are less likely to arc wire-to-wire.

You might put several smaller inductors in series, but you should still test them to estimate breakdown voltage.

There are transformers specifically intended for capacitor charging, or for CCFL backlight drive, that have high voltage ratings.

If there's quantity involved, you could get a custom inductor.

A 33 mH inductor is going to have a lot of turns of fine wire.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

from two failed inductors and I can see the point where it was arcing throu gh the enamel. It might be better if I used axial rather than radial induc tors!

Measuring the self-resonant frequency might be useful. Getting a high self- resonant frequency at that kind of inductance means winding the coil as a s eries of "banked" windings which means less voltage drop between each layer (and more - narrower - layers).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to