Can powerbanks shorten lithium battery life ?

I have a powerbank that I use to charge my cell phone.

10,400 ma is it's capacity.

Output 3.7 V

It has 2 outputs.

1.0 and 2.1 amps and I use the 2.1 amp

My cell battery is about one yr old. (Replacement for orig battery)

After charging the battery, it only lasts about 2 days before going dead.

During those 2 days, there was no cell phone usage.

Battery capacity is listed as 850 Mah.

Does it look like my battery capacity is seriously degraded ?

Reply to
Andy K

Believe it or not it depends on location. If you are far from a tower it us es more transmit power. Ever hear of "cellphone killer buildings" ? That is like some hospitals etc. that have the type of construction your wavelengt h doesn't go through all that well.

The cellphone keeps upping its transmit power to "touch base" with the near est tower and it ain't getting it, so it kills your battery.

Also, you can't just charge those things like a car battery.

If the battery is in the phone that is one thing, but if you rigged up some sort of connection outside that will burn it up, maybe even make it explod e.

If it is in the phone and this is like a USB connection or whatever, you pr obably just got an inferior quality battery. It may have say on a shelf and that is not good for them. It could be just as old as the old one, since t hey keep on changing styles/formfactors. in other words they are not making new batteries for my 30 year old flip phone. Aftermarket batteries are onl y made for phones that are only a few years old, otherwise the market is ju st not there.

Reply to
jurb6006

Charging a battery directly from a power source with no charge controller in between is a recipe for trouble (and in some cases disaster). Use a proper charger. You may have killed the cell phone battery already - or, if you're lucky, simply not have charged it fully.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

uses more transmit power. Ever hear of "cellphone killer buildings" ? That is like some hospitals etc. that have the type of construction your wavelen gth doesn't go through all that well.

arest tower and it ain't getting it, so it kills your battery.

me sort of connection outside that will burn it up, maybe even make it expl ode.

probably just got an inferior quality battery. It may have say on a shelf a nd that is not good for them. It could be just as old as the old one, since they keep on changing styles/formfactors. in other words they are not maki ng new batteries for my 30 year old flip phone. Aftermarket batteries are o nly made for phones that are only a few years old, otherwise the market is just not there.

Evidently you do not understand my post.

I said that the cell phone was NOT used, so distance from a tower is not a factor.

Charging my fone using a power bank is resulting in a shorter battery life than when using a wall charger.

Maybe the power bank has a poor circuit that allows overcharging of my cell phone battery ?

I would think the cell phone would have circuitry that would prevent that, but who knows.

And no, I did not rig anything up. :-)

I did notice something odd.

The no load voltage output of the power bank is 3.4 volts.

Seems low for charging a 3.7 v battery.

Andy

Reply to
Andy K

Cell phone shows full charge.

What's the point in a power bank then ?

The cell phone battery will never be 100 percent charged.

So it's charging the cell phone battery is assumed.

Andy

Reply to
Andy K

And I would think that the cell phone would have circuitry that would prevent overcharging.

But who knows how it was built, but I would think AT&T would build it well.

If the phone dies, they lose income.

Reply to
Andy K

On Monday, October 3, 2016 at 3:57:50 PM UTC-7, Andy K wrote: ...

Was the phone switched on?

Even if not used for a call, the location of the cell towers, the particular protocols they support and the signal propagation can dramatically affect the time the phone can stand in standby.

At one place I worked my phone would not last 8 hours even when not used; I would attempt to use it late in the day for the first time and the battery would be dead. At home or my previous (and subsequent) work place it would last about two days.

I surmised that it was not the signal strength but the fact that the location was between two base stations and the phone seemed to be constantly switching from one to another that was draining the battery.

This was using Verizon service about 8 years ago.

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

"Used" and "on" are two different things. If it's on, and in a fringe area, the power will go down even if you aren't yakking on it, because the phone stays in touch with the tower at all times.

Clarify, please.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

...whatever a "power bank" is. Was it specifically designed for that phone/battery? If no, it has no purpose.

BTW, 3.7V sounds pretty high for a charger but it's possible to get away with it if the charge controller is really good.

Why?

Huh?

Reply to
krw

Who knows what's going on. You give no specifics. 3.7V doesn't sound right for a cell phone charger, at least these days. Most use USB (5V) and do all the charge controlling inside. What you have is anyone's guess (and you're not providing enough clues).

AT&T doesn't make cell phones.

No, they make more, when you buy a new phone.

Reply to
krw

The phone does ET phone home periodically to stay registered with your nearest node - so that an incoming call knows where to find you. If it gets no response it ups the power level in steps to maximum allowed.

I spend time in a good Faraday cage sometimes and you should see the graph of battery charge vs time (and mine will display signal level). It is quite flat for green signal and not too bad for yellow but once you are deep in the red battery life is severely compromised.

Probably because the power bank isn't charging it to the same final level. You should be able to watch the charge graph on most devices. Certainly all mu Android ones do this.

More likely that it is undercharging it.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

AT&T is on the case.

Could be made by a 3rd party.

That assumes you would buy another of their phones.

And they lose income when are not buying minutes.

Andy

Reply to
Andy K

Cell phone battery is labeled 3.7 volts.

Model of phone is 510A.

Reply to
Andy K

dead.

power bank

Is a type of multipurpose portable charger created and designed in various capacity, colors, LED light, materials, mechanisms, shapes, sizes and style s with the necessary cable, connection and lead to connect it to an electri cal device to recharge it according to the design.

Reply to
Andy K

Not of any importance. I've had many phones that say "Verizon" on them. Verizon has never made phones, either.

No "could be" about it.

If you're using AT&T and buy one, the chances that you'll buy another is very high.

For a day or two that it takes you to buy a new phone.

Reply to
krw

turn off wifi and GPS.

Jasen Betts

Is that feature fully disabled? what steps did you take?

has it resulted in a shorter battery life when using a wall charger ?

maybe it's somehow incapable of giving a full charge?

Jasen Betts

It's a portable (usually pocket sized) rechargable power source with USB power output. Recharging might be USB, mains, 12VDC, solar, etc...

Jasen Betts

SO you're charging the battery directly?

I have no idea what a "510A" is.

Reply to
krw

Then it's probably not 3.7V as the OP claims.

Reply to
krw