Repeated the magnetic levitation of pencil carbon that was shown on youtube.

Repeated the magnetic levitation of pencil that was shown on youtube.

Note that the experiment is done on a black glass table that reflects, it looks like there are 2 layers of magnets, but there is only one layer. That is real gold, but just a coating on some of the magnets. The pencil lead broke into 2 pieces, the other part I cannot find anymore, possibly in orbit. ;-)

I takes some patience to get the magnets together in the right N/S pole sequence, and to position the pencil leads. The magnets are from

Not all pencil leads work, the following do NOT work: Made in Japan super polymer (obviously no carbon). Steadler, is magnetically attractive, must have some iron in it. You need pure carbon pencil leads, that are diamagnetic.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

SWEET!

This, I gotta try. First super-magnet and pencil graphite didn't show much of an effect, gotta rummage through the drawers for a bit...

An easier demo of diamagnetism is with a Ziploc bag of water ducktaped to a long string (fishline works well). Hang it from the ceiling, and move a magnet along the floor, you can easily see the deflection. Don't need an especially strong magnet.

Reply to
whit3rd

You want pyrolytic graphite for the best effect. I have a sheet of it floating above four gold-plated NdFeB magnets over my workbench. I bought it off the Web some years ago. The more physics somebody knows, the bigger the double-take. (It looks exactly like the Meissner effect--I have a routine about having discovered a room-temperature superconductor but having no particular use for one, I just made a demo....)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (Fri, 01 Jul 2011 18:16:29 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

LOL investors money!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 1 Jul 2011 13:58:24 -0700 (PDT)) it happened whit3rd wrote in :

It is easy to test if the leads are made of the right stuff: Put one on a flat table, if you can push it forward without touching with a N or S pole of a strong permanent magnet, then it should be able to do the levitation thing too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Care to post a photo?

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Sure, if I haven't packed it yet--I don't remember. The movers are coming tomorrow, so it's a bit chaotic round here.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC
Optics Electro-optics Photonics Analog Electronics

55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

How about some photos of your new office & lab, when you get a chance? :)

Michael A. Terrell

Definitely. It's a bit over 1k square feet, so there'll be a lot of empty space initially!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC
Optics Electro-optics Photonics Analog Electronics

55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Okay, the fake Meissner demo for your delectation.

Some stills, showing daylight under the graphite sheet:

And a movie:

I really have to go back to packing boxes now.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC
Optics Electro-optics Photonics Analog Electronics

55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I assume that the multipe magnets make a sort of bowl-shaped field, so the graphite doesn't slide off the top.

What I don't understand is the case where a chunk of high-temp superconductor sits on a single magnet, and LN2 is poured on, and it lifts straight up. I've seen it done. It doesn't slide off to one side, so it's pinned somehow.

There was some guy who used to post here that swore that Earnshaw's theorem made stable suspension impossible, and that all the pictures like yours were faked. Walz?

John

Earnshaws Th does not apply to diamagnetic materials, nor spinning ones. Thanks for the pics - quite impressive!

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

I knew that! But I still don't understand the lateral stability.

I think you can do stable suspension with AC fields levitating a conductive sphere or sheet. That should make more impressive distances.

John

Neat! :-) Thanks for posting those.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

The field is a quadrupole, so there's a minimum of |B| in the middle, which is what provides the self-centring.

I'd have to think about how the Meissner effect makes the magnet stable--probably only works with Type 2 superconductors, where you get magnetic vortices, so that the material is frozen to the field like as in the solar photosphere.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC
Optics Electro-optics Photonics Analog Electronics

55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (Wed, 06 Jul 2011 13:17:50 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

Nice!

Yes with the pencil lead you also get that typical wild movement in 3 D if you touch it. One thing I contemplated was to file a flat side on the pencil lead, blow some air over it so it rotates, and shine my laser-pen against it, That would create one scan line. Then to add an electromagnet to push one side of the rod up / down (modulate the magnetic field in that area), and that would give a low scan teevee.

You can perhaps sync in H with a simple photo-diode that gets hit every rotation. Video modulating the laser pen from a DAC in an FPGA perhaps. But first back of the envelope calculations show a too low scan rate and to much instability to make a laser projector. Laser projectors go for a few hundred dollars these days, in color too.

I think you could modulate the position of that piece in your setup too, dunno how fast though (air resistance, mass). Coat it with some reflective material. Rotation of a pencil lead should be possible at high speed however.

It is just one of the 'out there' experiments I sometimes dream up. Just lucky it did not trigger Andreas Fault.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 06 Jul 2011 18:05:27 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

This refers to impurities in the superconductor as a cause:

See 'questions' at bottom page. Site is worth reading anyways.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

True, but the material tends to heat up. Suspending a magnet over field coils is possible with active circuitry and feedback.

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

If a type 1 superconductor is chilled while sitting on a magnet, it will repel (and rise). A type II, on the other hand, will pin the flux, so if it's chilled outside a magnetic field, it repels, but if it's chilled in a magnet field, it becomes an electromagnet...

Ferromagnetic items can only be attracted to a field maximum, which cannot (for B fields) exist in free space. So, you can't make soft iron into a stable floater, unless you use dynamic control fields (Jesse Wakefield Beams-style).

Reply to
whit3rd