remote sense supply

On a sunny day (Tue, 05 Apr 2022 07:51:00 -0700) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Digital can be hacked.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Sure. But a short fat clumsy kid is not going to be a pro basketball star.

Common sense is not common enough, especially among experts.

Reply to
jlarkin

An FPGA loaded from a flash chip? Unlikely.

Seems like two different things going on here. One is to make the most complex power supply in the world, and the second is to add some 1970s linear power supply remote sense terminals. Not sure why both are needed.

Sounds like you need Don Y for this project.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

On a sunny day (Tue, 05 Apr 2022 10:19:00 -0700) it happened John Larkin <jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Depends, if it has any thing like a net connection or remote control...

One of the Usenet groups I read is sci.crypt. Bit quiet lately, but in the past there have been papers about cool hacks of all sorts, Google 'hacking FPGA' finds all sorts of opinions, but for example also this for Xilinx:

Never under-estimate the enemy.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The customers want this stuff. Sometimes they run long cables out to a jet engine or something. It's good to have customers.

Besides, once all the controls are in an FPGA, features are free.

Classic trapping maneuver.

Yep. This is also a form of differential cryptanalysis. At NSA, they would use a big computer and a lot of permutation matrix math to solve for the wiring diagrams.

Like Gordon Welchman and Hut 6, as discussed on SED some time ago.

I don't know how long it took the FPGA designer, but probably much less. I don't think the files were encrypted or anything of the kind. Just obscure and undocumented.

Trans Galactic. There's gotta be a warp drive in there somewhere.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Hah, never lose hope :-). I made up the name back in 1979 I think, this was deep behind the iron curtain, start talingk of your own company and someone might have called an ambulance... So the name was perhaps the least fictional part of the endeavour, was more a smile than anything else. Once it was possible to register a company I got back (had "defected" to W. Germany) and late in 1992 did register... under the same name. Had grown used to it and well, who said I am not the most stubborn person on Earth :).

====================================================== Dimiter Popoff, TGI

Dimiter_Popoff

Sometime between the 70s and today, POL regulation became the new normal. For anything on a long cord use sense lines too, but that needn't be the only level at which regulation is implemented.

Reply to
whit3rd

<snip>

Popeye was neither important nor profound. If you don't have clue what you might be able to do, you really aren't in a position to figure out what you are, and it might not be wise to be content with the conclusion you come to.

Education can stretch you enough to expose skills that you might not otherwise have been aware that you had.

I didn't have clue about electronics when I started in on my Ph.D. so I wasn't in a position to work out that I was reasonably good at it. I was a pretty good chemist (like both my parents) and I could probably have been content with that.

It might not have been a good choice. Win may have had a better supervisor than I did, and he chucked in his Ph.D. in chemical physics and swapped to a masters in electronics, which does seem to have worked out well.

I do know a couple of psychologists who were good enough pianists to think about taking on a career as concert pianists, and got Ph.D.'s in psychology instead. One of them is

She did give me some good advice when I was thinking about an electric piano with proper touch - or haptic feedback if you want to be more technical.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Could use fuzzy-logic and a DSP to fire off the crowbar circuit.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader