Remote controlled audio potentiometer (OT?)

I bet you can buy an IR volume control at smarthome.... just jack it into the tape monitor loop

Reply to
BobG

Hello,

I would like to change the manual volume potentiometer of my integrated amplifier with a motor-driven potentiometer which must be infrared controlled.

My question is simple...

How do I do that?

I've already chosen the potentiometer, what do I need now? A servo control? And what about the infrared control and reciever?

Do you have any idea about some newsgroup I colud ask in?

Thank You

Reply to
Maxy888

You can find the motorized pots at

I have a couple of the first one, haven't used them for anything yet. They take about 8 seconds to go around fully, so they're designed for and ideal for "HiFi" equipment. Not so great for pro gear as I was hoping to modify them for (

Reply to
Erik Walthinsen

You need a IR transmitter, (and obviously, ) a receiver. Start by looking around here

I only know of the domstic Alps type motorised vol. control. a servo one would need an extra track for feedback, so if you dont have this

3rd track, servoing will be difficult. pansonic AFAICR do professional faders with motors, but probably difficult to get in small quantities

martin

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" Gandhi

Reply to
martin griffith

Must you use a motor-driven pot? There are 'digital potentiometers' that can replace audio level controls and take up/down pushbutton inputs. All the brains already built in.

It should be a simple matter to take an IR receiver, decode the up/down remote buttons with a simple pic and run a couple of these.

There was an article in Circuit Celllar on using these in joysticks. The p/n for their digital pot was a Maxim DS1869. This might be a good place to start looking.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

To a newcomer to microcontrollers, no PIC is simple.

Reply to
Mark Jones

True. But unless someone has a ready-made solution for decoding IR remote control signals, a PIC will be needed. For this problem, something like a Basic Stamp will do nicely. There is probably some sample code for IR remote controls somewhere on the 'net reachable with Google.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I have done remoted audio volume control using a dual gate MOSFET device in an amplitude modulator configuration. Very low noise, very simple to construct the stage and easy to configure remote controls of almost any type.

The IR bit, if just for the volume control could be a simple pulsed device. If the IR transmitter gave long pulses for increase volume and short pulses for decrease volume the decoder could be a simple timer/charge-pump arrangement. Of course, if you need other functions from the remote then you need to look at the more complex IR decoder solutions that can resolve a multitude of functions.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul E. Bennett