relay coil inductance

I think the term you're searching for is ASIC...Application Specific Integrated Circuit.

Reply to
Jon

Really ?:-)

I haven't seen a good idea here in _years_... other than Larkin's pre-charge idea.

...Jim Thompson

Uh, you DID see the wink, and the ducking, didn't you? ;-)))

Bill Garber of Garberstreet Electronics

Garberstreet Electronics

You pulled your numbers out of thin air, and the drive voltage would not be set to a point that would have such a result.

Why? Magnetic curie point is like over 400°F, so I don't think we'll have any worries there.

Depends on the application. Hell, a feature that tweaks the voltage up on a channel that has displayed errant operation wouldn't be all that hard either.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Where are your relay coil driver stimulus release spike abatement ideas at then, asswipe (slings shit your way)? I fart in your direct direction!

Reply to
life imitates life

Yes.

Backing up a few threads... MOST IC designs are standard product... you know, all that stuff from Linear, National, Fairchild, TI. There's only a handful of us doing custom, particularly custom analog or analog/mixed-signal.

...Jim Thompson

Then you'd better drive it to at least the mfr's guaranteed minimum pullin voltage.

The copper coil winding has a positive resistance tempco of 0.4 percent per degree C. Between ambient changes and self-heating, it's another opportunity to screw up.

One could take advantage of the pullin/dropout hysteresis: power the high side of the coil from an R-C off the main supply. That will let you overvoltage the coil on pullin - fast close - and then droop the current into the hysteresis zone, setting it up for faster dropout. This can seriously reduce self-heating, too.

All of which is sort of academic.

Just putting a resistor in series with the coil will speed up everything.

John

That was three fecal references in 24 words, 12.5%. I think 10% is the threshold for nether-region obsession.

John

Don't count 'em up and attribute them to a single person, you shit for brains dumbfuck!

I made ONE reference (slings shit your way). Not that a retarded wuss like you could grasp the fact that he wrote (ducking), much less what it refers to.

An "asswipe" is a wipe for the ass. There is no fecal reference there at all. The fart reference is "bathroom humor" not fecal, you pathetic, cringing, wussified milksop.

So FUCK OFF yet again with your retarded claims that you make incessantly. You're a goddamned idiot, as well as being stupid for thinking that some number validates your retarded claim.

It doesn't get any more pathetic than that, Johnny. Somebody should drop a burning paper bag on your doorstep.

"I think 10%... blah blah blah." You're an idiot, Johnny. We only needed ONE occurrence of your stupid shit in the groups to validate that FACT. Give it up, you shit for brains dumbfuck.

It's like this... If I am "obsessed with it", then you are made of it. So make up your mind. If your claim is valid, you are made of it. If you are a lying idiot that has zero psychological knowledge, much less qualifications, then... you are STILL made of it.

You lose, either way, Johnny boy.

Reply to
life imitates life

Just the drop out - it'll slow down the pull-in. As you mentioned, kicking it with higher voltage with a cap at pull-in, and holding it energized below pull-in current with a resistor does the speedup job both ways.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

A resistor reduces the L/R time constant in both directions. You of course have to run the coil at rated current, which means you have to increase the power supply voltage to make up for the steady-state loss in the resistor.

John

I think most people derive more enjoyment from the input end of their digestive system than from the output. Buy hey, whatever turns you on.

John

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

lly related.

t there is

Try it,

sion.

apacitor

ut

the

YOU'RE AN IDIOT

THERE IS MORE "OUT THERE" THAN YOU CARE TO ACKNOWLEDGE

SO DO ACT THE CONCERNED YOU HYPOCRIT YOU JUST CAN'T TURN OF THE FUICKTARD YOU ARE AND CARRY ON AS IF NOTHING HAS HAPPENED

YOU HAVE CAUSE A GREAT LOSS TO MANY AND THE DAMAGES FROM YOUR ANAL RETENTIVE ACTIONS ARE IRREVERSIBLE

VANISH IN THE AIR YOU SATANIC TROLL AND TAKE YOUR BUDDIES WITH YOU

THAT IS THE ONLY COURSE OF ACTION REQUIRED FROM YOU AT THIS POINT

I AM PROTEUS

Reply to
Proteus IIV

Best is usually to switch this so the coil sees the highest possible voltage across it (current is curbed before it exceeds the danger level) and then, to shut it off, let it ramp up to a high but clamped voltage.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yep, As I previously posted...

You can accurately set a maximum flyback voltage.

...Jim Thompson

What's the 150ohms doing there? Shoulda PWM'ed it.

R1 wastes energy, causes global warming ... :-))

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That's the natural coil resistance of the RELAY. This isn't an SMPS.

...Jim Thompson

                Labor Unions Cause Global Warming

Ahh! Thanks, that makes sense.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Ah, ok. I typically PWM mine. But not with those boring commercial solenoid driver chips .

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/