Reflective opto switch

You can probably do better if you use a pair of lenses, one to focus the light from your source LED on the area where you hope for the reflection, and a second one to collect a larger solid angle of the reflectd light and focus it on your receiving photo-diode.

On the face of it, you will want at least one hundred times more signal at your receiver than you are getting at the moment, and that may be difficult, even with quite big lenses.

One useful trick is to modulate the light being emitted by you LED - something like 10kHz is a popular modulation frequency - and use a synchronous (lock-in) detector on the signal coming out of your receiver.

These days, the "synchronous detector" is often the A/D converter you get in a PIC microcontroller and similar parts. and you do the demodulation in the digital domain inside the microcontroller.

---------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Can someone point me in the right direction.... I want to make this with a sensitivity distance of around 300mm, without using any special type of reflective tape. I've had a go, but can only get 20 - 30 mm

Reply to
martin.shoebridge

It needs to fit in an 18mm dia tube ( like the commercial units- no lenses)so lenses are out. I already modulate at 38Khz ( carrier) + 1 khz. signal...... Line of sight I get 30 metres...

Reply to
martin.shoebridge

Line of sight is pretty much irrelevant - your reflecting surface spreads the incident light over a large sold angle, so the proportion that gets back to your detector is much lower than your are looking at with line of sight.

That you modulate at 38kHz is a good beginning, but do you do synchronous detection at your receiver? You can reject a great deal of irrelevant noise if you build your detection circuit correctly (Win Hill's "The Art of Electronics" ISBN 0-521-37095-7 discusses this) and can get away with relatively high gain amplification at the modulation frequency.

If you have got the signal processing optimised, the next step is to get a more intense light source. A laser diode module might do the trick, since the tightly collimated beam won't spread out much over

300mm and should give you a much high intensity of illumination on the reflective surface, but when I last looked they started off at about $150.

-------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman