Reference pulse, how to extract it?

I wish I can do that, but we can not modified the mechanic involved. The manufacturer install only one sensor and the describe encoder wheel, I must work with what is there.

Bye Jacques

Reply to
Jacques St-Pierre

Then count you must, since you must also include "crank".

I did this in the '60's, for ignition systems, using integrators, but it wasn't "pretty" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I don\'t understand.  Does that mean you have to be able to detect the
tooth during the time the starter motor is engaged?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Low RPM during crank. In my day that was around 18RPM that had to be detected.

...Jim Thompson

Yes, I need to read the pulse at crank time, I need to inject fuel at proper time for the engine to start.

Bye Jacques

Reply to
Jacques St-Pierre

What IS your minimum crank RPM specification?

...Jim Thompson

A suitable method might be to phase-lock to the 36-tooth signal, and discriminate on the phase detector output (which will glitch at the extra tooth). Or, you could run your phase-locked loop at a higher frequency (5x) and only trigger when the midcount (from 2 to 3) coincides with a pulse output from the LM1815.

Reply to
whit3rd

For a 300:1 frequency range??

...Jim Thompson

Would you please re-post this, but in a fixed-width font?

It looks like pulse "R" comes between pulse "36" and "1", but during the three quick ones, the pulses don't line up any more. Are you saying that 1-36 are one interval, then then 36-1 would be the same interval, with the "R" pulse nestled between them, or should I take your diagram at face value, and assume that each rotation is ~180 degrees out of phase with the last?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Frequency to voltage converter (such as charging/discharging a capacitor) feeding a differentiator?

I really like the software method though - compare the most recent inter-pulse time to the average of the last 5 inter-pulse times. If it's less than say 70% of the average, consider it to be the extra tooth. Can also easily add things like disable below a certain RPM, etc, consistency checking by counting pulses since the last extra tooth detection (should equaly one revolution's worth of pulses regardless of speed), etc. Small OTP micros are pretty cheap. But I bet you could do it in your main processor with some care in programming.

Reply to
cs_posting

Not sure, I will have to ask the engine expert guy.

In the mean time, we will try to do it by software at the beginning of next week. We are actually assembling a small prototype kit to test the method.

Bye Jacques

Reply to
Jacques St-Pierre

I don't think the bit heads are accounting for acceleration much, so this business about taking averages is just so much crap. You have the inter-tooth time varying over a 300:1 range, and if the engine is capable of accelerating over this range in a time on the order of a few seconds, then things become much more critical at the low RPM in so far as distinguishing the reference pulse from an ordinary tooth passing in front of the sensor early due to acceleration. You're not doing anything here that can't be quantified precisely, so this stuff about averaging over say...5 interpulse times...and declaring reference when an interpulse time is... oh say...70% of an average...is your typical pussy programmer crap that's going to get you in trouble.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

And there should be a TDC pulse from which to run default timing until the engine is actually running.

...Jim Thompson

more

You could count clock pulses (from the micro's clock or whatever) from the start of one tooth to the start of another tooth. Store that number and then compare the next count to the stored number. When the index tooth comes along it should nearly cut the count in half. Set up some rules in your software to look for an abrupt change in the count. I don't think a typical gas engine could accelerate to 2x the RPM within a tooth or two, so what you are really looking for is a rapid change (2x) in the frequency of the teeth. Doing it this way would work at any RPM or range of RPM because you are comparing the rate from one tooth to the next.

Reply to
bg

What could possibly be simpler than ten lines of code in the cpu you are going to connect it to?

connect signal to timer capture pin, if captured period is half of previous period,

+/- some to account for acceleration/decceleration, you have your reference.

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

doesn't have to be, lots of engines run just fine with nothing but a

60-2 teeth wheel on the crack.

on e.g a inline 4 running with wasted spark not running real sequential injection you don't need to know

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

On the "crack"? That explains it ;-)

BTW, what good is 6° tooth spacing?

...Jim Thompson

Is it safe to assume that the duty cycle (high to low time) of each of the 36 teeth are the same and the 37th tooth has the same high time (same tooth width) but a shorter low time (smaller gap)?

The ark was skippered by amateurs, the Titanic was skippered by
professionals.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Space between all tooth is constant (1 to 36 & 36 to 1), the 37th teeth is nested in the middle of the time between 36 and 1. My drawing is not really exact, using the characters to draw graphic is far than precise, sorry.

Bye Jacques

Reply to
Jacques St-Pierre

crank ;)

frequency in Hz equals speed in rpm? :p

60 is just what Bosch (I think) choose. others use 36, 24 or ...

regardless of number of teeth timing will be usually done by software as something like an edge plus a fraction of a previous period.