Record Yield from Fusion Experiment (2023 Update)

Dean Hoffman snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

We did the master timing system and the beam modulators. The NIF people were great to work with. If the darned stuff would just start breaking, maybe we could sell them replacements.

Reply to
jlarkin

Or they could buy something that worked better.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

As ironically stated by the John Doe snipped-for-privacy@message.header troll in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me who has posted yet another incorectly formatted USENET posting on Tue, 24 Aug 2021 02:12:46 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <sg1kiu$1hf$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

As ironically stated by the John Doe snipped-for-privacy@message.header troll in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me who has posted yet another incorectly formatted USENET posting on Tue, 24 Aug 2021 03:24:17 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <sg1op1$ooe$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

Fusion will not work. You will never get the power needed for a city.

Use technology that has already worked. Liquid Thorium Molten Salt.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Bill Gates has a couple extra dollars in his pocket. There are plans to build a nuclear power plant on the site of a retired coal power plant in Wyoming.

Dean Hoffman

** Impressive.

Could your tech be used for triggering a compact nuclear weapon ? Well, you see, there are all these " towel head" Arabs that just got real lucky recently. Uncle Joe just gave them a big nod.

In the interests of free trade of course......

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Are review and funding talks pending?

Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

An odd claim, when there is a great big fusion reactor at the centre of the solar system, which has provided all the power that keeps every city going.

And produces nasty radioactive waste, which we still haven't worked how to dispose in a way that is tolerated by people who live anywhere near the waste dumps.

Thorium waste may not be as nasty U-235 waste, but it is still pretty nasty.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

On a sunny day (Tue, 24 Aug 2021 06:44:08 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Anthony William Sloman snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote in snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

If all fails dump it here:

Jan Panteltje

That is precisely what LLNL gets its funding for.

I hope any future recipients of an H-bomb are thankful to JL and send their acknowledgments for his valuable contribution to their demise.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

You might want to calculate the amount of energy required to cancel the waste's orbital velocity around the sun - about 19 miles/second if I recall correctly. You have to do that (or very nearly) in order to put the waste into an orbit which will actually intersect the sun.

Get rid of too little orbital velocity, and you turn the waste into the equivalent of an Earth-crossing asteroid. It won't stay "gone" that way, and the return visit might be unpleasant to those alive at the time.

And, of course, that's after you expend the energy needed to hoist it out of Earth's gravity well.

Then, compare the total energy required to Get Rid Of The Waste, with the amount of energy you harvest from the reactor(s) which generated that much Waste.

'Tain't economical.

Reply to
Dave Platt

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorectly formatted USENET posting on Wed, 25 Aug 2021 01:44:38 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <sg47a6$1d3$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

I don't know how a modern implosion bomb is detonated. I think there are a lot of detonators embedded in explosive lenses. They were originally exploding wires, then exploding thin films, maybe now lasers. They have to be timed right, so I guess our digital delay generators could do the timing. They have been used for something very similar.

Nowadays, a few FPGAs could do the timing. They need something like 1 ns resolution I think, which a slow SERDES can do easily.

This was done with tubes in 1945!

Reply to
jlarkin

Not to mention the considerable risk of the launcher blowing up. All in all, a ridiculous idea.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

On 2021-08-25, John Doe snipped-for-privacy@message.header was wrong and tried to bury it:

no he's right, rocket to the sun is very expensive.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

You may like claiming this, but it doesn't seem to be true.

"A comprehensive study from the US Energy Department in 2014 found that waste from thorium-uranium fuel cycles has similar radioactivity at 100 years to uranium-plutonium fuel cycles, and actually has higher waste radioactivity at 100,000 years."

<snipped a long list of information about particular isotopes, without any list of the isotopes a a thorium molten salt reactor might be expected to produce, and some more youtube propaganda>
Reply to
Anthony William Sloman