really funny

I highly recommend Edward Tufte's pamphlet "The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint". He just eviscerates it, and points out that a one-page handout printed on both sides has more information than hundreds of PP slides.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

My preferred medium for making presentations is a whiteboard. I bring my own markers, since it's likely that the customer's are dried out or missing.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yup. Pro tip, that. Of course to be effective with just a whiteboard and a handout, you have to know your stuff cold.

I usually use some PDF viewer for projecting block diagrams and details of schematics.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 12:05:33 -0500, Phil Hobbs Gave us:

iPad, Samsung,Sony, Etc. Most all BT over to modern LED TVs these days.

Just hang a nice 65" on the wall, and zap ANYTHING you want over to it with VLC streamer, or a number of other applets.

I even have a cubox ARM processed computer I have fashioned into an HDTV appliance I can shoot things to with any other computing thing I have here.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I'd rather have the projector, because then my wall is only ugly while it's being used. ;) I don't have a lot of use for a TV otherwise.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 13:06:46 -0500, Phil Hobbs Gave us:

You do not watch films?!!!

ARRRGGGHHH!!!

Oh, and there are LED projectors with BT too.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The last movie I watched was in 1987, iirc. (It was "A Passage to India".)

I'm about to break my streak, though, because a friend of mine's sister did a documentary about their parents, and I said I'd go see that. (It's called "Game Show Dynamos"--their parents got out of debt by going on a zillion game shows back in the '60s.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 13:28:05 -0500, Phil Hobbs Gave us:

You should see "Starman".

That's a good return to visual storytelling flic.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I've known a few people who didn't like to sit through movies.

But there's some really good Shakespeare and Jane Austin and such, not just action junk.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 13:16:48 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

Great suggestion.

Try this one.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It's not a big ideological issue with me, I just get bored stiff after about 15 minutes of practically any video. IME it grabs hold of 100% of your attention, but doesn't repay the investment.

Also nowadays most video seems to be made for a very jaded audience, which (due to limited exposure) I'm not. That makes it uncomfortable to watch in addition to being boring.

Theatre is often fun, and I'm a big fan of polyphony--check out the Choral Evensong at St. Thomas, 5th Ave. (I go about once a month, but they webstream it for you poor uncultured souls far from Manhattan.) ;) Also anything by Stile Antico. "Music Before 1800" runs a series way uptown, but this year's schedule is a bit disappointing for a polyphony guy.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 13:37:16 -0500, Phil Hobbs Gave us:

You would definitely not be able to watch that 3 hour movie then.

But it got great reviews. Anthony Hopkins is a truly great actor.

This one pays it back, just requires the whole story, not just each visual parcel.

Try this one for a payback...

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

My family watches too many movies. I'm with you. (I get bored and troll electronics sites :^)

However some are good, nice stories worth watching. "Searching for Sugarman." from a few years ago comes to mind.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

If you like theatre, consider the following movies:

I can't sit through musical performances. Just not enough input bandwidth.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

You do have to process the signal you can detect for meaningful content.

Music is all about imperfect repetition, often called themes and variations.

If you can't work out what the theme is, it's bit tricky to make sense of the variations.

With movies the theme tends to be a bit too obvious, and the variations a little predictable.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Before I knew about polyphony, I thought I was just missing the lobe of the brain that connects music with the emotions. Turns out I was just a bit of a throwback. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You might find Aniruddh D. Patel's book interesting

I've heard him speaking on the subject, and he's impressive, though there's not yet a lot for him to be definitive about.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 11:38:22 -0800, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno Gave us:

Actually... a good flic for this would be the classic comedy, "The Princess Bride".