Re: Top ten analog engineers

You don't get credit for being _good_, you get credit for being

> _recognized_ as being good. How well you are recognized goes something > like (self PR)(real goodness); since even a slob has a teeny bit of real > goodness about him someplace, an energetically self-promoting slob will > be recognized over a genius wallflower every time.

Lee de Forest vs. Edwin Armstrong would be a good example here... de Forest certainly did have a bit of talent -- if not nearly as much as Armstrong -- but was the much better self-promoter...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I was wondering if someone was going to mention him. (Hobbs did in the very first response.) It should be noted that David Sarnoff[1] of RCA got the FCC to change the spectrum assignment for FM, making all Armstrong's deployed FM units instantly obsolete. . . [1] Sarnoff was the Bill Gates of his day, seeing business as a demolition derby with only one winner.

*-Cathedral-*-*-*+Microsoft-a=nd-freedom-of-choice-*-*-*-*-*-*-*&strip=3D1 (at about the 50% mark)

Reply to
JeffM