Re: Soldering bypass caps to QFP possible?

Un bel giorno Joerg digitò:

Is it reasonably possible to solder a bypass cap to adjacent pins on a > 0.5mm pitch QFP chip or would that just open up a can of worms?

If the pin are adjacent, it should be quite easy and clean if you use hot air and very small capacitors.

Anyway, if you really need 0.1 uF caps, it's not necessary to solder them directly on the pins. It's enough to solder them below 2-3 cm from the chip. There is a very nice application note on the Xilinx site about bypass caps:

emboliaschizoide.splinder.com
Reply to
dalai lamah

There used to be a company here in the UK called Precison Repair Services that could probably fix them, but they don't seem to be around any more. They've done some comparatively simple rework for me in the past, but some of the things they used to do were amazing.

Leon

Leon

Reply to
Leon

It isn't, under one condition: If the pins are via'd right to the planes. In this case they weren't.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

We'll have to find a place like that, preferably somewhere in the US.