Re: Sealing current: was Telephone Ringers: how & why

>> snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davids>> >> >> >>>The typical use we found for this was with a lot of the >>>leased lines using those new fangled things called modems, >>>instead of teletype loops (which had anything from 20ma >>>to 60ma of current pulsing on them all the time). >> >> >>Back before the "endless September" arrived, when Usenet was THE >place to >>get answers; an expert on sealing current enlighted us..... >> >> > > >One thing is important to remember, 'sealing current' (which appears >to be a new term for what was always known as 'wetting current' as far >back as I can remember),

A.K.A. 'fritting current'. This is used in the railway industry to ensure good connections along the trainlines, and across the contacts of couplers.

Greg Neff VP Engineering

*Microsym* Computers Inc. snipped-for-privacy@guesswhichwordgoeshere.com
Reply to
Greg Neff

That's a new one on me but it seems to be the same principle. Tyco do have it in their lexicon.

and there are some technical publications on the subject

it is also mentioned in this IEEE focument regarding railway communications.

Ross Herbert