Re: Reg Edwards programs

>>Jim Thomps>>> >>> >>>> amdx wrote: >>>>> It's been a while since a I accessed Reg Edwards wonderful programs. >>>>> In fact it was one computer ago! >>>>> I now run Win 7 X64, And they don't run on this system. >>>>> >>>>>

Don't give up your XT until all of your software will run else where. If separate machines are undesirable, I am happy with kvm switching.

Hopefully, some one will come up with a vm that will really work with Win7.

Win7 is good at what it does, but it requires that you learn to read & write its language and to out flank the really weird stuff. I am still unsure if I really stored a file in the folder I meant to. Sometimes Drag & Dropping just loses the load! Windows explorer is a poor representation of how data is really stored in the machine...

Win7 still has a lot of mysteries for me. If you are thinking about installing your old XP on new hardware you suddenly discover the drivers don't match the hardware.

However, the longer you wait, the harder the move will be.

I still have a couple of XT's so I am not missing Reg's programs but I do miss Reg Edwards! John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

No, really - the VM solutions for Win7 work just fine. You can't load PCI device drivers, but them's breaks. You can load USB device drivers.

cp -r -f works great.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Am I to understand that Win 7, which is what was being discussed, understands Unix commands?

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

I posted a link to a package. You have to install that first.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Actually, it kinda sorta does. Launch "All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Windows PowerShell | Windows PowerShell" and you'll get a CLI window that understands classic shell commands in Microsoft's own very special way.

I'm sticking with MinGW and MSys on the Windows side.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

kinda-sorta. It is rather low grade and seems to be largely intended to allow you to spread out your software upgrade dollars a bit. Not for serious retro compatibility. Just get a hotter machine and use a VM.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

operate

is

covers

have

is no

earth

You can still get ISA computers that run M$windows 95.

That is common in most of the globe.

Wow. Way too high a price. For example in Sacramento: =20

Similar small shops should be available in most larger metropolitan = areas.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

programs.

XP.

Whoa. Have you run the beta versions WIn8?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Aha!. Missed that. Academic to me, since I don't have any flavor of Windows.

The idea of using one OS, then having to resort to importing bits of another, to get basic functionality, seems ludicrous.

Windows always seemed to me to lack basic tools.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

When presented with lemons....

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Claro que si. You can even get ISA computers to run DOS. There is a sizeable market for that in industry.

That is one messy ad. Quote "MS Windows XP Home & Professional ..... $Call"

So how many Dollars is "Call"?

Yeah, it should not be a problem to buy an XP license even locally. I just mentioned the one link because I bought a 3D CAD there. For $10. Ten ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Find the other ingredients and make lemon meringue pie!

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell