Re: Really fast stuff

You seem to want to do this with discrets, which is fine, but it would

> be interesting to go the other way, and maximize a design using ic's.

Especially since I've got a lot of similar stages in this part, I may break out some chips. I only have TTL and CMOS on hand though. I'm still doing analog-ish things, like clipping and comparing, that those don't do as well. I have two LM360s which I would be happy to use, but last time I tried them, they didn't work. Hmm. Other than that, I have some LM319's, which really are kind of on the slow side.

2N3904's cooking on the fast side (like this ECL stuff) really are as fast as I need. I'm figuring bandwidth is under 50MHz for the trigger and vertical amp.

I'd love to get my hand on some ECL, except that I need both inputs sometimes. Reading through the manual, my Wavetek 193 is chock full of ECL circuits, both 10k series chips and 2N3653/2N5771 discrete units. Few resistors over 500 ohms. The preamp output has a 10ns edge rise time, and the original output amp did as well (a shame the transistors managed to get cooked so I had to replace them with slower stuff I had on hand).

Opamps that swing a few volts p-p can be had up to a ghz or so > bandwidth, AD8009 maybe. Front one of those with a dual-gate gaasfet > follower maybe, to get a high input impedance. An output deflection > stage could maybe be just opamps; a THS3001 will swing 20 volts p-p to > 30 MHz maybe, so a pair of them might be able to drive deflection > plates.

Not all the way. This tube needs about 10Vp-p per div: 60 vertical to cover the graticule, 100 horizontal. Behind the graticule the tube is of course round, so 100V both ways would be even clearer. I doubt the CRT can perform well over 50MHz anyway.

If I really wanted to get nasty, I'm supposing I could put a differential transformer in line near the CRT socket and send it some VHF from a band-limited amplifier, to take over past the DC-whatever amp.

John, I don't even know how I could possibly get one of those to amplify a signal other than its own! I don't even have any double sided PCB on hand. Something tells me solderless breadboard and pad-per-hole phenolic just ain't gonna cut it!

Tim

Tim Williams

I build multi-GHz stuff on scrap copperclad FR-4. I like it because it's a serious ground, and you can see everything without flipping it over, and because you can solder connectors and stuff right to the ground plane.

John