OT --- it appears that comp.dsp is pretty much dead --- really dead

This kind of sucks because comp.dsp was a parallel group to sci.electronic.design in that people posted and there was a fair amount of activity.

Now it seems that google will not even allow you to attach to the group due to ??? too many spam post???

Its not too bad when a group dies due to inactivity, but now google is blocking people from even going there to see if there are any recent post, which is killing it further.

____________________

comp.dsp has been identified as containing spam, malware, or other malicious content.

For more information about content policies on Google Groups see our Help Center article on abuse and our Terms of Service. ____________________

Reply to
Brent Locher

This kind of blocking is just another misfeature of google groups. Get a proper newsreader and a proper newsserver, and make your own decisions (such as killfiles to hide the junk). It won't solve the lack of interesting posts, but it /will/ hide the useless ones.

Reply to
David Brown

Wouldn't that be the same as not reading posts at all?

The DSP group has been dead for sometime. Google groups just pushed it over.

I bet the DSP group is one place where no one is talking about it.

--

Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Sometimes groups are /almost/ dead. comp.programming, for example, is mostly dead - killed mainly by a demented person who continuously posts absolute drivel with no relation to programming and of no interest to anyone. Then he'll start a new thread posting the same thing again, correcting a spelling mistake.

But occasionally, someone will post a real programming question, and the lurkers will come out of the woodwork and discuss it. So if you filter out the nonsense poster (actually posters - he has been joined by a second pita recently) then the groups is simply a very quite programming discussion group, with a new thread every couple of months.

Far and away the best thing that could happen to most technical groups would be the demise of the google groups interface. (It's fine for google to keep searchable archives - they are good at that.) It seems that google has been banning several groups - comp.dsp is not alone in that. comp.lang.forth, comp.lang.list, and now even comp.lang.c have been dropped from their selection.

Personally, I think that is mostly a good thing - it makes the groups much better for the real members, who mostly use proper interfaces. It cuts out virtually all the spam, the bots, the abusive and annoying posters, the "I have a doubt" posters who really haven't a clue, the "Do my homework for me" posters, and other annoyances.

It has its downsides too - it can mean losing good, interesting and technically competent posters like yourself. People like you either have to learn to use Usenet properly, or leave it - and it would be a shame if you left. It also raises the bar for newbies joining the Usenet community, which is clearly a disadvantage.

Still, the gradual demise of technical newsgroups is probably inevitable

- old users retire or die off faster than new ones take their places. Usenet is not really an exciting, modern or attractive platform these days.

Reply to
David Brown

That is a bit rich since Gmail users are one of the main injectors of spam :(

Usenet has been on its last legs now for something like a decade.

sci.chem is practicaly dead in the water as are most of the comp.lang groups. They get a couple of on topic posts a month if that.

sci.physics is overrun with nutters insisting they are the next Einstein :(

Most of the interesting discussions now live in various web forums and the odd classic moderated listserver some of them by invitation only.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

comp.lang.c, comp.lang.c++ and comp.lang.python are groups that have regular discussions, with dozens of posts a day.

comp.lang.c++ recently suffered from a google groups bug - people trying to use gg for it found the "++" was ignored and they actually posted to comp.lang.c.

And now comp.lang.c has been dropped by google groups. It is one of the oldest and most used groups on Usenet, with a history going back to the

80's with discussions involving the original language designers - so it is of major historical interest. It has not been particularly bothered by spam either - the solid majority of posts are entirely on-topic. (And as you would expect, the majority of spam and nonsense comes via google groups.)

I gather comp.lang.lisp and comp.lang.forth were blocked by gg a while back. I don't know how popular they were - they are not groups I followed.

comp.arch and comp.arch.embedded are also fine groups that I follow.

Yes, web-based forums seem to have taken the place of newsgroups. I find them far less convenient and efficient to use.

For more specific topics, especially in connection with particular software, there are many mailing lists. I find news.gmane.org a very handy way to access many such lists using a Usenet interface.

Reply to
David Brown