Re: Pic's pins current limited?

Are the microchip pic's pins current limit? Specifically for the pic24F

> family. =A0I have all the IO pins going to offboard connectors and I'm > wondering what would happen if the connectors were accidently shorted(say=
wire fell on them). I believe the pic's have thermal protection so it's a > matter of simply saving the individual pins. I can add in some series > resistance to limit the current in this application but wondering if they > are needed? (it's not prefered though because some of these pins are goin=
to be for general use)

Yep. It's in the datasheet.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

Yep. It's in the datasheet.

--
You happen to know where? I looked but couldn\'t find it ;/
Reply to

ay

ey

ing

You can't find Microchip? Products, 16 bit, product family, specific device and then family data sheet. It's virtually identical for the major manufacturers.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

Really?, where in the datasheet exactly? Microchip specify a maximum current for each pin (example: 25mA), all ports (example: 90mA) and a maximim total on power pins (example: 95mA), this does NOT mean it's current limited. If you exceed those rating you risk blowing your chip.

I've had them handle temporary shorts, but that doesn't mean it's guaranteed.

The PICs don't have "thermal protection" that I'm aware of.

You could do a test I guess. Short one of the output pins and measure the current. If it exceeds the maximum rated figure then you are in danger of blowing the chip. Likewise for the multiple port and power pin things.

Do you have any other voltages on your output connector? i.e. is it possible to short a higher voltage onto the PIC pins?

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

ts

oes

ble

log.com

If you can't figure out how to NOT exceed the max rated safe current and voltages, perhaps you're in the wrong job. Do you actually expect manufacturers to make all pins idiot proof?

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

Of course not, but that's a total non sequitur. The OP asked if PIC I/O pins are current limited, you replied with just "Yep. It's in the datasheet." We are still waiting for you to show us where in the datasheet it says the pins have current limiting...

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

log.com

It isn't in the data sheet as current limiting, just max safe values. I stand by my statement that it's the users obligation to not blow up the chip.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

I hate that on their so-called datasheets; 200 TerrorBytes of junk to wade thru. Should be a simple DC / AC datasheet (basic specs), then have a SEPARATE "booklet" for programming, and a SEPARATE "booklet(s)" for app note(s).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Podcast:

..."i am going to connect an x-ray transformer to one of the pins of a PIC (or other MCU) and i absolutely demand the MCU to be internally protected" sez the idiot.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Podcast:

I use PNP's on the "O" lines since the PIC's seem to like being in Sink mode any ways, this way with A PNP, I can get a heavy source signal.

If I need a NPN sink signal, I then just enable a pull up or put one in on the board with a NPN.

for the size of a SMT type, it isn't' that bad. can even use array drivers.

Reply to
Jamie

Then your answer to the OP's question should have been NO instead of YES.

Of course. But that's a different issue to whether or not a PIC has actual current limited outputs the OP asked about.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Not if you use the side bookmark index like it's designed for, you just jump right to the part you want, no wading through anything. I got to the PIC's maximum electrical specs in a grand total of ONE mouse click (not including the double cick to open the PDF).

Makes sense to have it all in one place IMO.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

The data sheets are not self-contained documents (they are generally less than 300 pages). You also need the relevant family reference manual which is at least as large for the instruction set details and peripheral details. Then some pages of errata, and maybe the programming specifications. Could be >1,000 pages total. Unfortunately Microchip have started distributing the family reference manuals as thirty or forty sections rather than as a single document.

Eg.

Spehro Pefhany

All microcontroller datasheets should be like this:

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones