Re: Pic's pins current limited?

Related question: do common microcontrollers fit in ANY logic family? I know they're almost all CMOS these days, but that's what's inside. What are the outputs? CD4000? 74C? 74HC?

Almost all of them are specified only in terms of minimum output current at some voltage, and the voltages are appaling: TTL levels I haven't seen since the NMOS days! When you see something rated for

2.4V at 800uA, you have to wonder if they even bothered to put an active pullup in the damn thing.

74HC is specified for the entire V-I curve, high and low, at least in the appnotes. Even in the regular datasheets, they supply minimum

*and typical* numbers for realistic voltages and currents. If only microcontroller tech writers were so interested.

Tim

Are the microchip pic's pins current limit? Specifically for the pic24F > family. =A0I have all the IO pins going to offboard connectors and I'm > wondering what would happen if the connectors were accidently shorted(say=
wire fell on them). I believe the pic's have thermal protection so it's a > matter of simply saving the individual pins. I can add in some series > resistance to limit the current in this application but wondering if they > are needed? (it's not prefered though because some of these pins are goin=
to be for general use)
Reply to
Tim Williams