Re: OT: Then once they've disarmed you...

Worth every penny if it prevents an assasination /hostage situation.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Not that much difference. In the US, the police can detain someone for 24 hours without charging them with a crime.

That's really odd.

Reply to
krw

A shiny river of brass. That would discourage most poorly planned attacks.

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Nah. Look on the good side. Scrap dealers can follow behind, pick up the brass and make a fortune. Windows companies will pick up new business repairing windows blown out by the shells. Conspiracy fans will have a field day, and newsprint ink will flow like water. All the online newspapers will crank up their adds, and everyone will make a fortune. Good deal all around.

Of course, I don't believe a word of what I just said. But somebody might!

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Presumably Trump tools around with the same kind of security detail.

He'd probably rely on tweeting any potential assassin into some kind of non-threatening coma, but the people responsible for his physical security will presumably prefer the same tools they had around when protecting Obama.

Trump's mental security is another question - he says he's a stable genius, but the odds are that he is lying about that too.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I suppose this is a reflection of how rare such events are in the UK, and the different attitudes in the US. The impression I get (correct me if it is wrong) is that in the US it is acceptable to use significant violence in defence of your property, and that if a burglar is killed by a home owner then it is assumed to be self-defence. In Europe, that is not the case. You are only ever allowed to use force proportional to the physical threat to yourself or others, and "reasonable force" to restrain a criminal until the police arrive. If someone threatens you with a knife and you whack him over the head with a frying pan, that is reasonable. If you beat him again when he is down, that is going to far. If he was not armed, then hitting him at all is a crime. And most burglars are /not/ armed - this particular one was unusual.

Over here, if a policeman fires his gun he is automatically suspended from duty (with full pay) until there is an enquiry from the police internal affairs. In most cases, the enquiry is going to quickly determine that he did his job - but that is how seriously we try avoid anyone getting killed.

Reply to
David Brown

It varies from state to state. In "Castle Doctrine" states, you are the master of your castle. Anyone there without your permission is assumed to be intent on harming you. Yes, you can off them without prejudice. Other states require the homeowner to retreat, if at all possible. Guess which ones tend to be red and which ones blue.

How do you know he's not armed. Do you wait for the perp to shoot first? Do you wait for him to slit your wife's throat before you decide he really does intend harm? Do you think he's inside your home because he forgot where his is?

That's generally true here, too. Sometimes they'll be put on a "desk assignment" shuffling paperwork until they're cleared. If the politicians get involved (becoming more frequent), it can take some time.

Reply to
krw

The "broken windows theory" is a favorite of leftists.

Reply to
krw

Leftists seem to come in only one flavor... profound ignorance. ...Jim Thompson

If you just accept that everything progressives say is a lie
designed for the sole purpose of enhancing their power, your life
will be a lot more pleasant. You are going to be able to relax,
secure in the knowledge that you are not hearing things, that up
is not down, that you are not crazy, because you understand that
each individual syllable leftists utter is a self-contained cap-
sule of pure deception. And once you embrace that reality, you
will see clearly that as a conservative dedicated to truth, per-
sonal liberty, and our Constitution, your only course of action
is to destroy their putrid ideology and crush their hideous pinko
dreams before their beady eyes.

         -Kurt Schlichter, townhall.com, 2017_04_06

"proportional" is idiocy... it requires you to _wait_ until you've been harmed _before_ you are allowed to react.

Here in AZ we follow the Houston Police Dept. Methodology... bang... bang... bang... ... STOP... police >:-} ...Jim Thompson

      Understanding is a fountain of life to one who has it,
      But the instruction of fools is folly.  Proverbs 16:22

Is this the case...

I'm sure glad I live in Arizona. I wouldn't even be "detained" in such an instance. I _would_ make the headlines... "Near octogenarian disposes of yet one more cretin from our midst" >:-} ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

If you just accept that everything progressives say is a lie designed for the sole purpose of enhancing their power, your life will be a lot more pleasant. You are going to be able to relax, secure in the knowledge that you are not hearing things, that up is not down, that you are not crazy, because you understand that each individual syllable leftists utter is a self-contained cap- sule of pure deception. And once you embrace that reality, you will see clearly that as a conservative dedicated to truth, per- sonal liberty, and our Constitution, your only course of action is to destroy their putrid ideology and crush their hideous pinko dreams before their beady eyes.

-Kurt Schlichter, townhall.com, 2017_04_06

[snip leftist pre-occupation with bull-shit]

Mr. Brown, How do you explain this...

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

If you just accept that everything progressives say is a lie designed for the sole purpose of enhancing their power, your life will be a lot more pleasant. You are going to be able to relax, secure in the knowledge that you are not hearing things, that up is not down, that you are not crazy, because you understand that each individual syllable leftists utter is a self-contained cap- sule of pure deception. And once you embrace that reality, you will see clearly that as a conservative dedicated to truth, per- sonal liberty, and our Constitution, your only course of action is to destroy their putrid ideology and crush their hideous pinko dreams before their beady eyes.

-Kurt Schlichter, townhall.com, 2017_04_06

It's hardly surprising given the constant deluge of Hollywood 'blockbusters' glamorising 'gangsterism' and 'thug culture.' Getting those vile H'wood sleaze-bags to stop polluting young people's minds with their deranged filth would be a good starting point. I can't believe this rather obvious causal factor is simply overlooked, when we live in an age where the boundary between reality and fantasy is becoming increasingly blurred.

Cursitor Doom

And now, no further action. Due process. Another of Cursitor Doom's wet dreams turns into a damp squib.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Take away all those "smart-phones' and we'll see how dumb the general population really is. ...Jim Thompson

           To those of us in my age bracket...

           GREEN means inexperienced and/or incompetent.

Quod erat demonstrandum.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Cherry picking, and rather imperfect grasp of statistical expectation

London had 22 deaths in March, to New York's 21. New York had 290 murders 2017, to London's 116.

If the nominal rate is 116/12 - roughly 10 per month - as it is London - 22 is most likely a freak outlier. People do seem to get out a bit more in March than in January and February, but probably not enough to explain most of the difference.

In New York 290/12 is 24, so their March was marginally quieter than you'd have expected.

All the March 2018 London murders seem to have been single victim events, but more victims in one incident would make the statistics even more erratic.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Which is the way it *should* be.

Cursitor Doom

Unless it's you they've got the wrong idea about.

The pope may be infallible on matters of faith, but everybody else makes mistakes from time to time.

Still, one could make an exception for Cursitor Doom - it would be ironic if the police sent to arrest him for intellectual fraud were gun-happy.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Sure but what would you expect from leftists?

IIRC, AZ is a Castle Doctrine state.

Reply to
krw