Re: OT: Body Drill Size

> Strange, but I can't seem to Google the proper body drill size for a #8

>> sheet metal screw thru about 1/8" thick plastic material. >> > Depends on the type of plastic I guess. Maybe the numbers for wood help: > >

You don't use sheet metal screws in plastic, you use a self-drilling screw:

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I know, but Jim wanted to use sheet metal screws ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Anyway, it's not correct. You generally should use *thread forming* screws in thermoplastics.

Self drilling screws are used by car stereo installers and such like.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Yes, and that will work just fine if Jim heats both the plastic and the screw with a hair dryer (or shrink gun) before he starts to cut the thread. The plastic will crack if it is anything like cold.

Jim

-- "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Thanks for the correction; I just didn't know the right search term(s). Found them at:

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

But be careful with the fumes, might give you quite a whoozy and it certainly ain't healthy.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Job already complete, with pilot holes followed by sheet metal screws.

...Jim Thompson

You can't pilot holes, you don't have a pilot's license!

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Perhaps not, but he went to my website to get the data for the drill hole size, that makes him my student, and I've got a pilot instructor's certificate (1750867CFI) so just get out of the way, buddy.

{;-)

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

He still won't be able to get it off the ground. :)

BTW, the 'Wings of Freedom' will be in town again, next month. It will be the first stop on the tour this year.

January 1/16 - 1/19

Ocala, FL (B-17, B-24 & P-51) Airport: Ocala Regional / Jim Taylor Field Location: General Aviation Ramp

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Are you saying Jim can't get it up any more? SOmehow I don't think that's true.

{;-)

(The other) Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

You said that. Not me.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

But he'll be able to get in into the ground.

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.