Re: MOSFET I vs. T curve

Gate threshold voltage has a negative coefficient, so falls with temperature (causing the Vgs = 4.5V curve to move up from about 1.1 to 4.5A). This can cause runaway conditions in paralleled linear circutis.

Rds(on) rises, as can be seen by looking at the saturated region of the, say, Vg = 15V curve: at 1V, Ids falls from about 30 to 17A. This causes stability in paralleled switching circuits (unlike bare silicon junctions in diodes and BJTs, and to a lesser extent, IGBTs).

It can be seen in Fig.4 that Rds rises about by a factor of 2 from 25 to

150°C, so my rough reading of the log plot is within reason.

Tim

As junction temp increases, r goes up and I goes down, right? > > This must be a misprint: > > > (This is IRFM150/2N7224) > > (see fig. 1 & 2 on p. 4). I think these 2 graphs are transposed. The

higher

condition should result in less current, yes? > > Just testing my grasp of the knowledge... > > Thanks, > -- > John English >
Reply to
Tim Williams