Re: Medicine from a Doctor's Viewpoint....

Written by a doctor (orthopedic surgeon) acquaintance of ours...

Is Canada's health care system perfect? No. That being said, compared to the US the data indicate that Canada gets slightly better results.

A couple of indicators:

================================

Greg Neff VP Engineering

*Microsym* Computers Inc. snipped-for-privacy@guesswhichwordgoeshere.com
Reply to
Greg Neff

And just how long is the waiting list for, say, and MRI or CAT scan? How long is the waiting list for a transplant? How long is the waiting list for a coronary bypass?

Oh, that's right - they get around the rationing by coming to the US to get treatment.

Well, you can kiss that safety valve goodbye if Obama's socialized medicine gets passed.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Right. They'd have to go to England and "go private" there. The U.K. National Health system provides perfectly adequate health care for everybody, but there's enough spare capacity to service people who want to buy faster service - when my ruptured intervertebral had taken a long time to recover I spent a couple of hundred pouds on a private magnetic resonance scan; and X-ray scan would have been half the price, but I didn't fancy absorbing 4% of the lethal radiation dose.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

--
Pity... ;)

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Be nice :)

Reply to
Jamie

A real shame ;-)

I'm always pleased to note that I'm the highest standard for Slowman's disdain, but please don't feed the jerk. Let him die that most unpleasant of deaths... alone ;-)

...Jim Thompson

And still no answer to my "how long is the watiting list" question.

Wonder why that could be?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

.

r...

r...

The answer is that you are too dim to google it for yourself

says that current policy in the UK is that if you won't get a scan from your local hospital within 13 weeks, you can be put on a general list which is expected to find you a scan within another 13 week.

Typical waiting times for non-urgent scans have been claimed to be in the range two to eight weeks; urgent cases do get seen a lot more quickly.

The less cheapskate systems in France, Germany and the Netherlands seem to hold the waiting time for non-urgent scans down to a couple of weeks or less.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman