Advice requested on hard to find NEC remote control

My wife has an old ~86 vintage television/monitor Works great but the remote is dead. It is getting impossible to find a universal remote that will work with the thing.

Any pointers on what to look for? Is there some watershed change in design that took place or is this TV just so uncommon that it is hard to find?

Recommendations of best brands to try?

default

Have you Googled for universal remote controls? Have you visited Circuit City and Best Buy and Radio Shack?

1986 is a long time ago, by the way. You might be out of luck.
Reply to
Charles Schuler

Are you sure it's the remote that's dead? If none of the universals are working, perhaps there's a fault with the IR sensor itself?

FWIW, we just got an older NEC TV working with a dishnetwork 'blue button' remote that came with a 301 sat receiver. If you know anyone with Dishnetwork, perhaps you could borrow their remote and try it out. Remotes are available on Fleabay. Here's a link to the manual...

BTW, the codes are 505, 506, 507, 517, 523, 573, 627, 712.

Good luck.

Reply to
Anonymous

Art

If you're willing to get by with ON/OFF. UP/DOWN, LOUD/SOFT, and MUTE you could try:

At 5 bucks, it won't be a life-altering decision if it doesn't work. (They can be found at other web retail sites of this 'ilk', as well.)

I bought one as a stocking stuffer for all my friends this Christmas. Now there won't be a loud, intrusive TV that's safe in any waiting room, lounge, restaurant, or bar around this region. :-)

Jonesy

--
  Marvin L Jones    | jonz          | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.24N  104.55W  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2

Hi...

Hey, with one of those you could generate yourself a LOT of service calls :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Two "universals" (old and not sold anymore) do work but are getting harder to use - have to press hard. I can repair that problem up to a point - assuming I don't bust the case to smithereens - cemented together. Wife wanted to find a couple to buy new so she's covered for the life of the set - since all the new one's she's tried don't work.

Thanks for the feedback

default