Re: Looking for Microcontroller Recommendations

I bought a book on ARM in the eighties? I was also the future then ;-)

> But somehow x86 grabbed it.

I'm fairly sure that there are more ARMs in use than x86's. Practically evey mobile phone has one, the Nintendo DS has two, iPods have one or two, and they're also common in other high-end embedded systems (e.g. GPS navigation) and in low-end computer networking devices (routers, NAS, etc).

The x86 probably wins in terms of total revenue, though.

Reply to
Nobody

On a sunny day (Sat, 16 Jan 2010 08:35:19 +0000) it happened Nobody wrote in :

I dunno my Linksys router run a Broadcom MIPS. No idea what is in my cellphones. I counted more then 20 micros in this room alone, let's see:

1 PC x86 2 notebook: Intel x86 3 CB transceiver Hitachi 4,5 SWR box: 2 x PIC 6 Digital camera Canon : no idea 7 Digital camera Mustek: no idea 8,9 2 x webcam Logitech: no Idea, could even be ASICs. 10 Soldering iron: I think PIC, but not sure 11 IP camera: x86 clone 12 WAP: Broadcom MIPS. 13 PC keyboard: some micro, the old PC one had a 8051, could be anything 14 LED light controller PIC 15 Temp controller: 8052AH 16 temperature sensor PIC 17 DLS modem, no idea 18 Seagate external harddisk, no idea 19, 20 2x DVB-T settop box, forgotten what processor no idea

There is one ARM processor in the SkyStar 1 sat TV PCI card, but that cars is no operational anymore. And a box full of various PICs... I am sure I forgot some.

21 Oh, mouse: no idea, no ARM, likely PIC 22 DVD player, could be a processor or some ASIC, dunno The list goes on, so, ARM rules? I think not.

It is amazing how many processors are around us these days though. Oops, I forgot the cellphones, now that could be ARM. That makes 26 then. Oops, forgot the LCD monitor, 27 and the beat goes on... Portable CD player 28 Portable mp3 player 29 Lightning detector 30!

I made 30, but still counting. How many do you have in the room you are in? Let's have a contest, no cheating, not moving to the lab or so :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

3 x86 PC's (2 functional, one dead), a MIPS-based router, and a variety of PICs (although, apart from the one in the PICkit2, they aren't part of anything, they're just "parts"). There's bound to be a CPU in the monitor, but no idea what sort.

I'm not much of a "gadget" person (I don't even have a mobile phone).

There are probably more CPUs in the kitchen than here ;)

Reply to
Nobody

On a sunny day (Tue, 19 Jan 2010 08:54:35 +0000) it happened Nobody wrote in :

Mobile phones are cool, mine even can do internet. Also have a ssh client, opera browser, and irc client on it :-)

Yes, the CPUs rule, once they become AI we are lost.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje