Re: Increasing Cable TV signal strength

We were required to deliver 0 dBmv at the end of 100 feet of RG-59 or RG-6 for two sets per the franchise. The system was designed at +10 dBmv at the tap to allow for three or four TVs at the 100 foot range. That was on a 36 channel system with RCA modulators & HST. It was done for two reasons. To have a little extra signal available when the system was built, and for conversion for a 300 MHz plant to a 450 MHz plant without respacing the trunk amplifiers.

I build a headend & interface to tie two incompatible community loops together. Ours was a sub split loop, and the other CATV company used mid split. We used 2 & 12 for pilots, so we fed them Channel 2 into their return, and down converted their feed to T-9 for our return. That headend had two RCA HSP and a combiner. The interface was another HSP in a large stainless steel NEMA box mounted to a power pole at the boundary of the two systems. A pair of two way splitters were used to route the signals between the systems, as well as into and out of the HSP. The other company wanted us to install a modulator and a demodulator at the boundary to give us audio & video, and another pair from our side so the interface would be baseband. Their design was over $15,000 in hardware alone. My design was under $3000 for all the hardware & labor to install. I had system designers from both sides telling me it wouldn't work, but it did the job with no problems. :)

Michael A. Terrell

Actually, asshole, folks here would like it if you would leave.

Bad enough seeing dopes like SkyBuck here, now we have to see idiots like you and krw as well. No, dumbfuck, you are not amusing, idiot.

Did ya catch the FOAD in that, boy?

Reply to
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra

Is that what you call that?

Reply to
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra

Yes, and now I am leading $400M (yes, idiot, the dollar sign goes in front) telecom projects which include spaceborne elements and the fastest gateways on the planet and put Americans to work all over the nation in support, and you get to type stupid shit in Usenet and on your facebook facetard account and wither away like the old, dead f*ck you are.

Soon enough, you'll be as senile as krw is and you won't even be able to cut a cable fitting, and I will be still taking cross country tours and racing on my bike and barefoot water skiing and living until 2110. Hell, I'll set records. I am just getting started.

Yes, idiot... you are amusing, sometimes. Bwuahahahahahaha!

Reply to
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra

Very nice. We were much more constrained on the install I mentioned up the thread a ways. The fiber was fed at E1 speed, which probably didn't work it very hard.

We had an issue at one point.

This was a distributed proc/data system, one of the first. Each cabinet was a standalone PBX. And you could make 126 of them look like one. And each could survive on its own.

First fiber campus we'd done. Staggered cut to the new infrastructure. Fun stuff.

At one point we had to do the cutover to the other large pice of the system. Each end connected the fiber. 0 signal.

TDR from A end showed 700 meters from A end, 800 meters from end B. Length from A to B is 1500 meters.

The work that occurred because of that was not fun. Had to go get the guy doing fusion splicing.

Joy. Midnight trip to Pittsburgh with the salesman.

Actually it was fun. Not much traffic at night.

Landing pattern at 160mph in between DC9s into Pittsburgh at about midnight. And they didn't like 160 at all. This was scary.

Quickest turnoff onto a taxiway I've ever experienced. Of course the taxiway may not have been one. We didn't care.

tom K0TAR

Reply to
tom

Yup, he's amusing.

tom K0TAR

Reply to
tom

Bwuahahahahahahahahahaahha!

You are too stupid to even know how to say OC-192!

Reply to
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra

I can Google too!

--
VWW, P.E. ,K6EVE
Reply to

It wasn't from google, idiot. It is what I work with daily. More than an order of magnitude more, in fact. Over 300Gb/s

Here's another link for you, dork:

Oh, and did I say FUCK YOU, Wall boy?

Reply to
Hellequin

Tell us more about your work. You must not be doing much, since you're always on Usenet. Do you work the graveyard janitorial shift?

Wikipedia is also handy for things you know nothing about!

What's Ku got to do with anything. I was designing and using Ku TWTAs over twenty years ago. I was system engineering director for several military satellites systems, including those for the UK and NATO. These did not use Ku because of the problem with rain attenuation.

P.S. How about a reply using one of the many Linux systems you mention?

--
VWW
Reply to

Yes. So people like you can give a cursory glance to a given term or subject.

As for me, the things I mentioned are things I *do* know something about.

Sorry, you fail. Just like the others. This group is full of dopes like you, who know nothing about people, and even less about the world.

Reply to
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra

How many personalities did the doc say you have?

I do a lot.

How many mistakes can you make in one post? I post here during the period in which I am at home. Can you really be that retarded?

Graveyards do not have janitors, idiot. They have groundskeepers.

Any idiot with half a brain could figure out that I work during the day, dumbfuck.

Reply to
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra

ap.

le?

up.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D

ble

1.25

V to

an

me

e.

Sal, A relative number by any other name would smell as sweet. The reccomendations for my box is about the same but it works well below that at least according to what I measure withe the cable box. BTW it just says 'db'. dBm was an assumption on my part..

Jimmie

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

.
.

ld

Jeff, I installed TVRO systems for several years and used a lot of F connectors. Suprisingly the ones I found that worked best were the ultra cheap ones that only took a pair of pliers to fasten These were the ones with the separate crimp rings. Used with some good quality heat shrink tubing this eliminated most of the problems you mention. I dont know why these connectors went away, my only guess is that someone wasn't making enough money on them.

Jimmie

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Yech...

Please try this test. Insert such a crimp type F connector and cable into some useless piece of equipment with a type F jack. Pull on the cable hard. In my experience, it doesn't take much to make the cable and connector part ways. Repeat with a screw on connector. Now, repeat the experiment using a properly assembled compression type F connector and cable. It takes considerably more brute force to break the connection. I think the official minimum pull test is 55 lbs, but I'm too lazy to Google for it now.

Hiding the workmanship under shrink tube is not very functional. It will have little effect on the pull test.

Most of the cable leakage problems I've seen (and found) were due to crimp type F connectors coming apart or badly crimped. That includes both the hex shaped crimp, and ones held together with a crimped ring.

Bad:

Worse:

Good:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I tend to judge people by their willingness and abilities to learn new things. You fail.

You may know something about CATV and fiber, but it doesn't show. Instead of taking the time to educate those whom you suspect of being in error, you waste our time with insults and unsubstantiated opinions. Your command of profanity is truly impressive, but misplaced. If someone presented you with your comments, what you would think of the author?

I can't imagine what personal tragedy has occurred in your life, that you find it necessary to demonstrate your competence at the expense of others. If you're truly competent, such a crutch is not necessary. If you clean up your act, there may be hope for you remaining.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Speak for yourself, Nymbecile.

Everyone here would love to see you leave. You have polluted this and other groups far too long.

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

Quote "Maximum Drop Length 300 Feet"

Now that's what I call good service.

See above. Obviously others can. And yes, I have designed RF broadband power amps. Lots of them. Not just lashing up boxes but the actual transistor level circuitry including layout guidance for the nasty stuff.

Fact is, if a cable company isn't competent to do a 170ft drop they should decline the job. Otherwise it is a screw-up, plain and simple. In our area they'd lose their shirts to the satellite guys because there are many houses like ours where there is no reasonable way to get from the street to the house with a 100ft limit. We have around 200ft that's still there from the early 90's and the previous owner said cable TV worked just fine for them. We are not subscribed because TV ain't that important to us.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The Box is a CISCO RNG100 Only data I know how to get is; Tuner 537.00 Mhz 2dbmv TDC 75.25 Mhz 5dbmv RDC 20.00 Mhz 30.0dbmv Yes 30.0

On the road, will check in this evening. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

He mentioned running 400 megabuck projects. With his attitude he wouldn't last 10 seconds in the interview for a position like that. And if he by chance made it through he'd be gone the first day because of performance and trouble getting along with anyone.

He does sound like someone who does do janitorial work, now that you mention it, and is trying to compensate for his lack of success and low IQ with insults.

Usenet. You gotta love the kooks.

tom K0TAR

Reply to
tom