Re: Heatsink cooling -- PICTURES

>>Let's say that I have a source of about 800-1000 watts (two dual IGBTs >>inverting 200 amps). They should run relatively cool, to stay safe say >>under 80 C. I have a heatsink that is about 6x13 inches and weighs >>perhaps 12 lbs. I am cooling it with a fan mounted right next to the >>ribs, pushing air along them, the fan is about 20 watts. Ambient temp >>could be quite hot, say 40 C (inside welding machine). Would you say >>that this amount of cooling should be enough? I will have a overheat >>switch mounted on the sink, so, hopefully, worst case would be a >>inconvenience of having to stop welding, but I would like to have some >>idea of adequacy of this setup. >> >>i > > I did a big ugly 800-watt CAMAC power supply, with a heatsink about > that size. A single 120 CFM fan was ducted (custom vacuum-formed > plastic thing) to blow all its air through the fins, not *near* or > *around* the fins as fans are wont to do. > > I got a tad over 0.04 K/W, but that was with the heat load fairly > uniformly distributed over the heatsink baseplate. Concentrated heat > loads would be worse because of lateral (spreading) thermal > resistance. > > If you don't duct the air, impingement is almost as good: orient the > plane of the fan parallel to the sink and blast the air directly into > the fins at short range. Tweak distance maybe. > > Your numbers sound tough to do, but not impossible.

Thanks. This assembly will be mounted horizontally, very close (like 1 cm) above the bottom of my welder. Or even directly on the bottom.

Here it is, with comments:

The main power units are not yet mounted. Wanted to see what you think. There is the snubber circut there already, however.

Thank you.

Ignoramus18299