Re: Fine wire tensile strengths?

I've been asked to 'light-up' aircraft models, such as,

> >It is suspended from a rope. >I need to use very fine 120V wire (like magnetic wire), >the model uses 8# test monofilament right now and weighs >1/2 # , but a strong wind requires that 8# test. >Is there a table that gives wire gauge & tensile strength? >The current will likely be a max of 1/2 amp. >Ken

You can pick the material and look up the yield strength.

In Imperial units, maybe steel wire (like music wire) you could use

300,000 PSI, say.

So for something that would break at 20lbs you would need

7E-5 in^2, which is about 0.01" diameter, if I did the sums correctly.

You should calculate and test the strength and self-heating effect before using it, of course.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

OK. diameter for wire gauges found here:

Yeild strength for several alloys can be found here:

Using 60,000 psi for yeild strength we want 30,000 or 40,000 psi for test strength. Thus to get 8 lb test we need 8/30,000 ~= 266 E-6 square inches. Solved for diameter D=sqrt(A/(2*pi)) for A=sqrt(266/6.28) about 6.5 mils. Thus from the table, 2 #39 enameled magnet wire lightly twisted ought to provide the mechanical strength needed and a complete circuit and handle 18 mA without trouble.

Reply to
JosephKK

Just pi. But since it's diameter, not radius, it's 2*sqrt(A/pi).

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

AFAIUI, usually "x pound test" mono line has an actual typical breaking point 20-100+% higher than x, so more safety margin might be required.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Gosh, i am at 50% of _yeild_ strength already. Do you really think i need more margin?

Reply to
JosephKK