Cow Proof Fence? Not Electrified

Hi and Happy Holidays,

What would take to build a fence that cows could not break through or jump over? We have a recurring problem with a neighbor's cows breaking through our fence. We are looking for an alternative to an electrified fence (I posted a separate query about electrified fences the other day.) The problem area is at most 25..30 feet but we might get by with a 10 foot section. The fence is at the top of slope which makes it more difficult for them to jump over it. We have seen them break through and there were more than on animal pushing. We are in Costa Rica where during the upcoming dry season the pool and irrigated plants will be irresistible.

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
Abby

Oops! My apologies. Somehow I accidentally selected the wrong group.

Gary

Hi and Happy Holidays,

What would take to build a fence that cows could not break through or jump over? We have a recurring problem with a neighbor's cows breaking through our fence. We are looking for an alternative to an electrified fence (I posted a separate query about electrified fences the other day.) The problem area is at most 25..30 feet but we might get by with a 10 foot section. The fence is at the top of slope which makes it more difficult for them to jump over it. We have seen them break through and there were more than on animal pushing. We are in Costa Rica where during the upcoming dry season the pool and irrigated plants will be irresistible.

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
Abby

On a sunny day (Tue, 11 Dec 2012 09:17:37 -0600) it happened "Abby" wrote in :

2 meters high concrete
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Wow, you must really be on the frontier--cows that jump? Who knew? ;)

Some nice 8-inch spikes facing the cows might discourage them a little.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

;)

;)

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

You should probably ask Gary Larsen.

Reply to
krw

"Barbed wire" also includes "barbed" sheet metal. Place one piece post-to-post at "shoulder" height. ...Jim Thompson

Bobwahr?

( Okie pronunciation of "barbed wire" )

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

I don't think they breed cows for spirit, even in Costa Rica. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hey, Vern... ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Plant oleander on your side of the fence. After the rancher loses one cow, he will put up a second fence.

Reply to
miso

Good idea. However, in their infinite wisdom, various nanny cities in Arizona have banned the planting of oleanders... also olive trees, a marvelously hardy and beautiful tree here in Arizona... because some people are allergic to them :-( ...Jim Thompson

They jump over the MOOn.

Reply to
Robert Baer

They try. That's why we need a new moon every 28 days...

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

This will teach me to double check before I post.

Pura vida, Gary

Reply to
Abby

Google "High tensile" cattle fence for some non-electrified solutions.

Since you have almost no length of fence, cost of materials is of little concern, so you can err on the side of caution, but the side loads on the posts are significant, so they may have to be scaled up in diameter and depth of hole. 12.5 gauge galvanized steel wire seems to be standard (2.5mm diameter*), with 200K PSI tensile strength, pretensioned as described.

  • note- this being an electronics group, I'll point out that SWG is quite different from AWG - the latter would only be 60% of the cross-sectional area for the same gauge.
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Portable corral panels would do the trick, if you can find them. Generally 16ft. Look at a local ranch or feed store. You will need to sink a 2" or so fence post, maybe 2 or 3 ft down or put it in concrete. I have used chain link fence post and the gate hardware to tie into the panels. If there is really something tasty on your side barbed wire wont help much.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

I meant to say I generally get the 16ft panel. You can get them in different sizes, 6ft, 10ft, 12ft...

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas