Re: Ferrite Core Shopping

>>> D from BC wrote: >>>> A 14/8 size is ~14mm wide by ~8mm high(both halves). I've seen the >>>> size expressed as 1408 on the Allstar site.. >>>> I don't know if there's a core size convention. >>>> I got that 14/8 size expression from a Magnetics Inc. catalogue. >>> Means nothing to me. Sound like a US size core (and the world is moving to >>> international - not US - standards), I tried googling and came up with >>> nothing. >>> >>>> I don't think I can use an RM core. Unless both parts have a height no >>>> greater than 10mm. >>>> The 2007 Magnetic Inc short form has the shortest 2 RM core pieces at >>>> a total of 10.4 mm + gap. >>> What are your design criteria ? >> >> I suspect every core manufacture has their own size codes. >> >> Criteria: >> Cores that are easy to get in small quantities. Say 5 cores. >> A low loss material for 700Khz to 1Mhz. >> Round windings. >> Max. 10mm height >> Any width. >> Completely enclosed if possible for low EMI. >> It'll need a gap. My app will saturate an ungapped ferrite toroid. > >Pot core? A gap means custom, usually.

I have had good experience with Philips Components (or Philips Magnetic Components?) cores. Look for distribution via Eastern Components.

So far, I have had reasonably small minimum orders. The catalog includes gapped cores.

If you really need a small quantity, you can gap them yourself with paper or plastic sheet.

Don Klipstein

I'll check out Eastern.. Thanks.

I thought of trying an anaerobic adhesive (loctite threadlocker) and glass microspheres for the gap. Dunno yet. I still have to determine the gap size.

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Depends on how much leakage you can tolerate. If you need to restrict the spacer to the middle post or the center post of a pot core you could chat with a few of the better local machine shops. Some may be able to grind down ferrite.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.