200nH 120A inductor

I need to make 200nH 120A inductors for a post output filter in a SMPS. The problem is space it a bit tight, and the conductor will be a 10 x

3mm copper bar. Does anyone know where to buy ferrite cores halves that fit around flat bars. I've seen them in equipment before. There have been ferrites blocks glued around a copper bar with some spacer to provide a suitable magnetic air gap.

I cannot easily change to a round conductor, otherwise I could just passing through a several iron powder ring cores.

Adam

Reply to
Adam S

If this is a filter just to remove RF, how about using mumetal formed to go around the bus bar?

Reply to
MooseFET

There may be either C cores or a combination of C cores and I cores that can suitably encircle your flat bars. I have gotten ferrite cores by Philips Magnetic Components (formerly Ferroxcube), distributed by Eastern Components. Last time I needed some (a few years ago), minimum order requirements were tolerable.

Don Klipstein

How about ferroxcube u15/11/6 cores?

I think All Star Magnetics stocks them

Reply to
MooseFET

Get miitary: Air Corps (air core); 120 amps has a tendency to saturate any ferrite you would like to mention, unless the size (cross-section) is huge. Yes, there are "flat" ferrite "bars"; most i have seen were for flat cable. Worthless at even 12 amps.. An air gap large enough to prevent saturation at 120 amps would not increase the inductance of a copper bar enough to be worth mentioning.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Mumetal is good at DC frequencies, not RF; formed around the bus bar would make a shorted turn which would tend to decrease inductance of the bus bar.

Reply to
Robert Baer

.

ar

I don't think it would. It has way more resistance than copper. At RF frequencies, it would look very lossy.

Reply to
MooseFET

can some one please tell me what DC frequencies are?

The above statement is confusing me a bit.

Reply to
Jamie