Re: Dual sine wave generator with variable frequency and 90 degree phase difference

Yes, a very small positive feedback makes it into a stable oscillator. It is a very good oscillator for doing variable frequency oscillators because the frequency is linear with the gains. This means that with a ganged pot, you can easily make the dial linear.

Because op-amps come in quads, you can use the 4th op-amp as the positive feedback and amplitude control.

My ascii art isn't working so I will explain:

Make a simple inverting op-amp circuit.

Change the feedback resistor into two resistors in series.

Pick off the center point of the two resistors as the output.

Apply a small signal and the op-amp inverts as expected.

Apply a large signal and the op-amp hits the rails. The inverting input of the op-amp will no longer stay at ground and thus the output shows a non-inverted signal.

The extra op-amp and 4 resistors gives you the amplitude stablization circuit.

Or > you could make a sine wave oscillator, then feed it to the state > variable filter to make quadrature signal. This could have the > additional feature of filtering the sine wave oscillator.
Reply to
MooseFET